Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

New plant labels with QR codes.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: New plant labels with QR codes. Reply with quote

Got my new plant labels this evening. The holders come from The Essentials Co and a local firm make up the labels for me with QR codes.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do the Qr codes tell you
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about the plant. Just hold your phone up to the code and all the info will appear on your phone (provided you have a QR app)
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I often wonder about these things and have never seen anyone access them, Asked those who know more about these than me and they have never used them, Also if you look at the age profile of people who use garden centres most are late forties over fifty they never use this technology, now maybe everyone on here will say we always use it, but with the people I work with they can barley use the mobile for texting never mind anything else, so i would be interested to see how it goes for you.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need a web page that the QR codes bring you to?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the QR Code is scanned by your phone it brings you to a specific web page applicable to that plant only. So you then have comprehensive details all about that plant available on your phone.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use QR codes regularly and I am over 50, must be a quare sort of backwardness prevailing in Kildare or else we are just more forward thinking in the sunny south east!!!
They are great for additional information that is not shown on the shop provided label. I thought it might be overkill for a private garden but then again your garden is no ordinary garden. I'm presuming that this is a service for visitors/open days.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it tells you everything, if its a geranium will it tell you it produces only male flowers and when the pollen has been removed they will die off and female ones will be produced. If its Arum will it tell you it retains the pollinators (Flies) within the flower until the have removed pollen and then release them to pollinate others. It its Rape seed will it tell you the seed is coated with Neonicotiniod and the farmer is still told to spray 4 times per year it is retained in the soil for min 6 years and indiscriminately kills all pollinating insects.
Or does it just tell you the name its deciduous grows so high has white flowers, sure you could figure that out without QR codes where s the enjoyment of stopping to look and enjoy the plant for what it is.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite EVERYTHING, it just brings you to a web page and whatever is on it is on it, depends how detailed the website is. Sometimes it is only a bit more than you would find on a plastic label.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: