Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

American with a question

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
CDBaker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: American with a question Reply with quote

Hi: I'm an American writer recently returned from your lovely County Cork. (Sept 2-5) While there, I was quite taken by the wildflowers covering many of the hillsides by the sea near Kinsale. However, I can't identify them. I've attached a photo in the hopes that someone may be able to help me. Thank you!

IMG_0452.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  532.89 KB
 Viewed:  2983 Time(s)

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  638.61 KB
 Viewed:  2983 Time(s)

IMG_0389.jpg

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spiky stuff with the yellow flowers is gorse - did you notice a coconutty smell?
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet you didnt lie down in that to get the smell, ls known as Gorse, Furze or whin depending on which part of the country you come from. If your interested in wild flowers check out this site http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/ she also has a good facebook page and recently published an excellent book on Irish wildflowers. and we are not related.
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Ireland and that you have taken back good memories. Gorse, or furze as they call it in the south, or whins as we know it in Donegal, grows all over the country. The flowers can be used to make a fragrant white wine, though you would want to be very careful picking them! A piece of folklore attached to the plant says that if the gorse is in flower then love is in season. Look hard enough and you are likely to find a gorse flower in any month!
The other flower in your pics is Bell Heather, I think. Here is a useful link:
http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/pages/83a.html
CDBaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Wow. Thank you. Reply with quote

A huge 'Thank you' to all of you! This is very helpful. I will check out your recommended links.
I was so taken by the beauty of these flowers, but to answer Greengage, no, I didn't lie in it. Medieval knievel: I remember being a bit disappointed to find the flowers not particularly fragrant.
This was my first time in your lovely countryside. Between the gorse/furze/whins, the ferns, the wild raspberries and I'm guessing wild roses, I was quite smitten by it all. The people were very helpful and kind. I do need to get better at driving on the left, however.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only joking about lying on it, Glad you enjoyed your visit and by the looks of things you got good weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: