Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Storing spuds? Blight??Best practice???

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Storing spuds? Blight??Best practice??? Reply with quote

I lifted my Lord Rosedale spuds today. They are a heritage variety, red skinned, delicious and floury, though need care in cooking or you could easily end up with soup.
About two weeks ago I noticed what I presumed to be blight on some of the plants. I texted a friend a photo and he agreed, so I immediately cut down all the haulms and disposed of them. I left them until now to lift in order for their very fragile skins to thicken up a bit. However, two or three plants were badly affected and I removed their decomposing spuds as I dug. I have about 10kg from an area 7ft x 3ft 6in and I have left them to dry overnight in my airy shed. That may not seem a lot, but together with my remaining 3 growing bags of Sharps Express we will have plenty until Christmas.
So far, so good, but I have a few questions for the spud experts:
- Other than picking them over carefully when I brush any remaining soil off, and removing suspects, is there anything else I can do to help them store well? (I'll put them in paper bags in a dark, cool place.)
- I had hoped to save seed from them; is there anything I can do to lessen the chance of the seed developing the blight - I know it's spores are airborne, but they may already be contaminated. Would it be useful to wash them with e.g. Permanganate of Potash?
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am no expert but this is what I did last year. We had maincrop only last year and harvested approx 2.25 tonnes. We got a touch of blight about the end of September so I cut all the haulms off with a petrol strimmer, left them in the ground for a week or so as I just hadn't the time to dig them all up at that point. These were then washed and left out to dry for a day or two and then stored, several people told me that I shouldn't wash them as they wouldn't store well but I can assure you that they were wrong. The washing seemed to do no harm at all, and yes a few went rotten in the storage bins but I reckon that happens anyway. Most Saturday mornings I used to check them and basically use your sense of smell until you find the offending article. The storage bins were euro pallettes that I laid a sheet of ply over the base and then I used those hinged raising pieces four high and surrounded all six sides with 50mm insulation in a dimly lit shed. Snug as a bug they were all winter and we only ate the last of them about 6 weeks ago. If it aint broke don't fix it. Expecting about 6 tonne this year and plan on doing the same again.
I suspect that if the blight is in them then there is little or nothing that you can do. I saved a lot of seed from last year in hessian sacks, enough to plant 1050 linear metres, in the same bins and am looking forward to a bumper crop again.
Got the dreaded blight again this year in the earlies crop last week, about 40% are affected so the strimmer was out again and I am digging up a good few every day. Will leave the healthy ones in the ground until needed.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Tw. I'll go ahead with my storeage plans. I'll probably wash the seed briefly, the rest I'll just brush off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: