Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Will this rain overwater my baby corn in containers?

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant please
Last post: Sue Deacon
Amelanchier
Last post: Good guy
Prime Seaweed (Availability) Conditions?
Last post: Gautama

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Damo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Will this rain overwater my baby corn in containers? Reply with quote

I have 11 corn planted from two plantings, the first group are maybe 6 foot tall and looking great, the rest are 4 weeks behind and still looking well. I put some in some spare ground I took off underachieving broccoli and the others in good sized pots. They started the lives mostly in and out of the greenhouse. Ever since they've been put in the final pots and expelled from the greenhouse to give it room for the tomatoes and melons, it has rained!

We are concerned they are getting over watered and will rot. Do I need to move them inside or under a tree or even back in the greenhouse at night?

On the seed packet it said 'baby corn' but as far as I understand baby corn is just corn harvested early?

Tried to post photo but it says 'tried to post empty file'. Oh well.

Thanks in advance!
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn at this time of year is a big thirsty plant and plants in pots usually need more watering than those in the ground. As long as the pot is not sitting in a tray of water then it should be fine.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plants in pots , especially hungry plants like corn, could be hungry at this time of year. If they are looking a little down perhaps a feed would perk them up, they love sunshine too but that's not as easy to organise!
Damo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Kim, good to know. We feared they would get too wet but when we brought some in from the winds some were dry already! I'll go get last years nettle tea and look for fresh nettles to brew some more!
Off to the Moynalty steam threshing festival, plenty of old school gardening going on there I hope!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: