Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

japanese maple/acer

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bazzer34
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: japanese maple/acer Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
So im looking to finish off in between my golden bamboo and have decided on some form of japanese maple/acer..was looking at the red dragon dissectum variety online and liked it.Just hard to decide on which would suit the most ? or what people here think would like nice and trive,decent growth and hardy.i understand they hate wind and too much sun .mine would be planted between bamboo with the sun south facing at the back of the fence so they would be semi shade,sheltered..i was in the orchard and johnstown garden centres yesterday and there isnt a huge variety of acers/maples.any suggestions on who stocks some nice variety of acers in the dublin,kildare ,meath area.on a different note i have an acer in a pot the last three years and it was doing farely well so i decided a few weeks back to repot it into a bigger pot with ericaceous compost as the original compost wasnt.it looks like its dead all the leaves have started to fall off it?..[/img]
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that your bamboo is Phyllostachys aurea? If so, you will need to use a plastic barrier at least 18" into the ground, to stop it from completely swamping the Acer and robbing all its water. I would be inclined to try and find a wide and shallow 350 litre plastic pot (large specimen shrubs and trees are grown in these- any nursery with large stock will have some kicking around). Cut the bottom off. Dig a planting pit, taking care not to mix the topsoil with subsoil, and put the pot in with a couple of inches showing above ground. Then backfill, incorporating organic matter. Plant the Acer of your choice!
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese Maple supplier in Kildare.

K & M,
Ballyhagen,
Carbury,
Co. Kildare.
Tel: 085 781 8908

N53 20.086. W 658.442.

Run by Skelly family Possibly the biggest stock of Japanese Maples in the country. I bought the ones for my Japanese Maple Bed here.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
bazzer34

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys that's brilliant I will try K + M in Kildare so.To be honest my father has the same type of bamboo,golden bamboo(phyllostachys aurea) and its clump forming and ive never seen runners or it spreading that far out the base ,his is down 8 years.but if you think they will spread aftert his time then ill think about putting a barrier around it.the acers would have a good 2 foot each side .thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: