Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

roundup weed removal

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
deecon147
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: roundup weed removal Reply with quote

Hi, I've read a few websites and threads but I need some guidance please.
I have sprayed an area of the garden with roundup because it was over grown with annual and perennial weeds as I want to sow grass seed this September. Before I sprayed I used a strimmer to take the tops of the weeds as some of them were quite tall. My question is what do I do next? Should I dig up the weeds which are going brown and physically remove them - if so when should I do this? OR should I dig them into the soil and rotavate it - if so when should I do this? After doing either of those, presumably i will need to spray again to kill off any weeds that have come back before preparing the ground for grass seed? Hope somebody can help me. Thanks. Deirdre
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no one else is replying, I will give my humble opinion......assuming you are not dealing with a very large area, I would be inclined to dig up the dead weeds, especially if you are talking about large taproots, which if not totally dead could give you more problems in the future.
Hosta Frequency Kenneth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also as you are waiting till September you can keep an eye on whatever weeds sprout between now and then and catch these also.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Kenneth. I'd rotovate the whole lot, then wait for signs of growth, then spray again. You're going to have to rotovate it anyway, and there will be loads of buried seeds.
deecon147

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. It's about 21 mtrs sq. I've dug up the weeds before but never did anything with it. There were nettles previously but they didn't grow back. I might do a bit of manual weeding of any perennials that I recognise and the rotavate it....then wait
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be really thorough with the weed removal by hand as some weeds will just grow again from fragments of roots left in the ground.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deecon 147 - Tippben has the heart of your problem. There's an old gardeners' saying 'One year's weeds, seven years' seeds' which points out that, once you've let a weed go to seed, the seeds will drop on to the earth and remain in a viable state for anything up to seven years. This means that, in addition to having a disastrous effect on wildlife, Roundup holds a false promise. It makes you think you've got rid of your weed problem, whereas many of them will re-germinate next season, and the next and so on.

I'd also exercise a word of caution on rotavating as your soil looks absolutely wonderful immediately afterwards but, because the machine will have chopped every weed into multiple pieces, you'll tend to finish up with more than you started with.

If it was me, I'd invest in a couple of rolls of black plastic builder's membrane. Cover half of your sizeable plot with it to nuke the weeds underneath it and then attack the remaining half with a good, old fashioned spade. Remove what weeds you can as you dig, and thereafter watch for weeds as they show. Keep at it, possibly using lawn mowings in between rows to stifle weed seedlings, and you'll eventually overcome your problem but quick fixes are all too often not what they're cracked up to be?

Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sowing grass seed with the intention of keeping the area mown then I would not worry so much. Very few weeds will survive regular mowing. Dandelion is probably the main one that will persist in a lawn. We have dandelions in our grass and I only seem to realise they are there when they are flowering. They could be dug out if you decided you don't want them. If it was me I would sow the grass seed as soon as the ground was ready. It will be best at out-competing the weed seedlings. Sowing now would require watering if it does not rain but it is a relatively small area. The sooner you sow the better the sward heading into winter.
There is an element of pot luck that the weather may be better in September. This is Ireland!
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roundup.
Just noticed this thread.

Roundup does not instantly kill the weeds.

It is best used without strimming...where there is plenty of lush weed growth.
Use EXACTLY as manufacturer states...never be tempted to increase strength of solution.
It works by the plants taking the poison in through the leaves ...all the way down to the roots.
No leaves...then nothing to transport the chemicals.
It then kills the roots and the weeds will slowly die..

Persistent weeds like Japanese knot weed may grow again ...wait till you have enough new leaves before giving a 2nd spray.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: