Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

any permaculture gardeners here ?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
cambasque
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: any permaculture gardeners here ? Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here, enjoying reading and learning ! any permaculture gardeners on this forum ? good to see so many organic gardeners out there... Laughing
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never attended a permaculture talk, or course, but I am familiar with permaculture. I like forest gardens and Fukuoka's "one straw revolution" which some consider permaculture although it is only one aspect. There is certainly some good thinking coming through the permaculture movement which is filtering through, whether people realise it or not.

Real permaculture is quite a traditional lifestlyle and I sometimes think that the best examples of permaculture are from people who have never even heard the phrase! In the same way everyone was organic a couple of hundred years ago but now it is a special movement.....
cambasque

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too true Kim re organic, most of the stuff you read or being said about organic, one would think it was a new fad, not the way we all used to garden. I like permaculture as there are some great innovative ideas behind it as well as a reduction on hard labour as soon as you get your place up and running... Laughing
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one else replied to this thread, I guess a lot of people are not on-line with this wonderful weather. I am up and out as early as I can be, out until it's almost dark and glad to get out of the heat in the middle of the day.

Quote:
.....a reduction on hard labour as soon as you get your place up and running...

I guess I should learn some more then! We are here 16 years and every year there is more to do! LOL It is entirely my own fault, I keep on thinking of new projects and like to do most things manually. In truth I am a no-dig easy gardener and systems that are up and running do work very well.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
I'm surprised no one else replied to this thread, I guess a lot of people are not on-line with this wonderful weather. I am up and out as early as I can be, out until it's almost dark and glad to get out of the heat in the middle of the day.

Have to admit I don't know what permaculture is, may educate myself, hence no comments. Ditto on the hours though - do a bit until mid morning and then either find something to do in a shed or some work on the laptop inside and then out again after dinner in the evening when it has cooled down a bit. Actually only came in about 30 mins back from watering the garden by torch light - the dedication of gardeners huh?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Kim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the challenges of keeping pigs recently with someone, who is in their 20's, and I had the impression from what they were saying that they knew more about permaculture than I did. It turned out, they had never heard of it.

Permaculture, This is what Wiki says......

Quote:
Permaculture is a branch of ecological design, ecological engineering, environmental design, construction and Integrated Water Resources Management that develops sustainable architecture, regenerative and self-maintained habitat and agricultural systems modeled from natural ecosystems.[1][2] The term permaculture (as a systematic method) was first coined by Australians Bill Mollison and David Holmgren in 1978. The word permaculture originally referred to "permanent agriculture" [3] but was expanded to stand also for "permanent culture," as it was seen that social aspects were integral to a truly sustainable system as inspired by Masanobu Fukuoka's natural farming philosophy.

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labor; and of looking at plants and animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single product system." - Bill Mollison [4]

and there is more, explains it very well... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

I think of permaculture as common sense, which is why I think there are a lot of good examples of permaculture thinking amongst good gardeners generally. Planting in guilds (like the three sisters corn, squash and beans), water catchment (collecting rain water from roofs) and growing herbs near the kitchen door are simple examples of permaculture as it applies in a garden (this is my understanding anyway!).
There are innovative ideas too and certainly combining the best ideas can result in a notably efficient system. A whole garden, farm or community which is modelled with permaculture is really efficient, beautiful and productive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: