Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

hello everyone

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
cambasque
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: hello everyone Reply with quote

Just wanted to say hello and i am very happy I found this site. I am just starting a new garden, well what do you call a field with not much in it?! I am hoping to find some inspiration here and tips and imformation....just moving down to south kerry to see if the grass is greener down there :
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome cambasque....what do you call a field with not much in it ? I would say you could call it Paradise Waiting to Happen.....we started on a bare acre seven years ago and it is now our own piece of paradise full of birds, trees, shrubs, flowers, fruit trees and vegetables. Good luck with the work.
cambasque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, well it's field on a decent slope with a few native trees, which i hope to work around to keep. part mountain side so suitable places to plant a slight challenge ! love the sound of your garden, now if only i could end up with something like that !
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will, you will....nature does most of the work, but needs a helping hand from us sometimes !
cambasque

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have any tips on what to plant or not to plant i would love to hear.....what surprised you, what does really well and value for money......i am looking forward to getting fruit trees in as well as ornamental plants.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought native Irish apple trees from http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/...I'm sure they would advise you on what would be suitable for your area.
My main bit of advice would be about trees.... we wasted time and effort buying trees of about 5 ft tall....these needed staking which adds to the cost and trouble of taking care of them. I would never do that again...just buy very young whips...they establish much faster and need no staking...and they are very cheap. And in 4 or 5 years they will have caught up with the larger trees.
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I am new here too.

How exciting to start from scratch! In reference to your other thread, permaculture can be ideal for making the most out of a sloping site. We started with a fairly flat bare field in 1998 and we also planted trees from Irish seed savers. I have also found Future forests and Woodkerne nurseries great. Most of our plants are started from seed, cuttings or bare root, Starting small makes strong plants and as Sive says, will do better in the long term. Find a garden friend who can give you slips and seeds to propagate. Gardeners usually pass on their strongest and most vigorous plants.

All the best!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Just out of interest and nothing to do with gardening but are you French? Maybe Spanish?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: