Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Suggestions for a windy sunny trellis please

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
miseeile
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Suggestions for a windy sunny trellis please Reply with quote

Hi, I'm an enthusiastic but inexperienced new gardener so I am putting this question to all you experienced gardeners out there!

I need to screen an area of my new garden. There is a basic frame for trellis there (2m long by approx 1.3m high) and my plan is to put a sturdy diamond holed wooden trellis in the frame (from Woodies or similar).

I would like planting that will give colour (hopefully everygreen) and also will flower while withstanding the prevailing wind on one side. We have a high site and there is no shelter for where this trellis will be.

So, in summary, I need a plan for each side. 1) the south facing windy side and 2) the north facing sheltered side.

The plants will be planted in the ground.

Any books I read about climbing plants never refer to windy conditions. The site was tillage farmland before we built on it but I'm unsure of soil type. We are on the Louth side of the Boyne if that helps.

Thanks in advance Smile
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try planting two things if the trellis is that small. One will outcompete the other. Try the evergreen honeysuckle.

Lonicera japonica 'Halliana' AGM: An evergreen or semi-evergreen, vigorous climber with dark green leaves and white fragrant flowers from spring to summer. Height: 10m (33ft).
L. henryi: This is an evergreen, vigorous honeysuckle with purplish-red flowers between early and mid-summer, followed by purple-black berries. Height: 10m (33ft). (from RHS website)

If it's exposed, use very sturdy supports, and put an extra one in the middle, where you'd plant. You will only need one plant.
miseeile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great advice. Thank you! And I'll physically plant it on the sunnier side I presume.
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its a Trellis it wont really matter what side its planted on but for appearance sake I'd plant it facing Public view...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: