Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Butterflies....and bees

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts weeping willow tree
Last post: Sue Deacon
i THOUGHT A GHOST HAD TURNED UP
Last post: Greengage
Mouse Trap
Last post: Greengage
When you've popped your clogs..............................
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Butterflies....and bees Reply with quote

All my buddleias and lavenders are now blooming, but I don't see the normal frenetic activity on them.....hardly a butterfly or bee in the vicinity. Admittedly it's very overcast, but it is very warm too. Is my experience unusual ? What have others noticed....?
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen one butterfly on my butterfly bush yet. Not one!

I've different types of bumble bees in the garden alright but no honey bees, thank goodness. I love bumble bees.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Keith g
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Same here in Cavan too, not a single butterfly to be seen on my buddleia's. I've also noticed quite a drop off in the number of bumblebees around during the daytime even though as you say the flowers are in bloom.

I think that it is a bit strange Question

K

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of bumblebees about i contribute to the bumblebee monitoring scheme and lots about since March. As for no butterflies on the buddleia they are busy feeding elsewhere but the will find it dont worry.
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our buddleia is not in bloom yet. I believe that the timing of the first blooms depend on when it has been cut back and one can cut it so that the blooms coincide with the best time for butterflies, anyone else heard of this? I really can't remember when I cut mine but I would hazard a guess at late winter early spring.

We do have butterflies in the garden but I couldn't say what I have seen them on.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the idea of checking through some of my last year's photos and am amazed to see that it was around the third week in August that my lavender and buddleias were covered in butterflies....... a whole month away yet....so maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily....though I can't see these blooms lasting for another month.
I wonder whether things are blooming earlier this year because of the mild winter/wet spring/and warm summer ?
Incidentally, I always give my buddleias a fairly hard pruning in February, so I haven't varied that routine.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a very early year with a mild spring and wonderful summer weather so far. It wouldn't surprise me if they are a little earlier than usual. The buddleias do have a long flower time with the side shoot flowers (sorry my botanical vocabulary is sorely lacking!) following on from the first central ones.

I think I remember reading about not cutting the Buddleias back too early just after I had cut mine. I think of Butterfly season as August and September, with Buddleias, Marjoram, Sedum and Aster being the best magnets in our garden. The marjoram flowers are on the brink of opening now and Buddleias another week or two to go.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kim, I had never really thought about when it was that butterflies appeared...I just had this memory of watching lots of them ( mainly small tortoiseshells ) on my lavenders last year. I know little about the life cycle of butterflies, so time for me to do some research I think !
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Too good at weeding! Reply with quote

Reading this thread, I am reminded that I haven't seen any of these beautiful creatures in my garden this year. I must have been too assiduous in weeding out the ragwort. Time to let some grow, I think! (NB, photos not mine).

image.jpg
 Description:
Cinnabar moth
 Filesize:  17.29 KB
 Viewed:  6487 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
Cinnabar moth
 Filesize:  60.75 KB
 Viewed:  6487 Time(s)

image.jpg

mcgrueser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that you mention these beautiful moths, Good Guy, because I'd never seen them before and I took these couple of pics back on 12th June meaning to post and ask what they were.

The photos, which aren't great quality because it's my phone camera, were taken down in Rathdrum in Wicklow. I hope plenty of other people have seen them around the country too because they really are lovely

IMAG1776.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  744.68 KB
 Viewed:  6424 Time(s)

IMAG1776.jpg

IMAG1777.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  718.98 KB
 Viewed:  6424 Time(s)

IMAG1777.jpg

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let some ragwort grow and you may well get them.
It's a much maligned plant, harmless so long as your livestock don't eat it. It stands so stately and tall and with such a colour. I read somewhere that it plays a part in the life cycle of 35 or more critters.
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally....I see a few butterflies on the lavender today, so maybe I was expecting them too early. It's good to see them though.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by our local butterfly garden today and it is blooming well and had a few small whites. I didn't stay long as I was in a hurry. It's a bit of a mess, not that the butterflies would mind, so I texted one of the An Taisce people I know, to get them to give it a tidy now and an overhaul in the autumn.
I designed the garden for the local An Taisce and it was opened in 2008. I'm pleased with how the concept has worked, but it does need some maintenance. There are pics of it here, somewhere, on a thread about stonework, if anyone is interested.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to be more specific than that with the thread name or else it could be a long search.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for "butterfly garden an taisce" worked surprisingly well if this is right...

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5128-45.html,

Looks like a lovely space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: