Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Blight Warning: Saturday 12th July.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Blight Warning: Saturday 12th July. Reply with quote

STATUS YELLOW

Blight Warning
Conditions conducive to the spread of potato blight may occur in parts on Saturday.
Also blight conditions developing again at times next week.

Issued:Friday 11 July 2014 16:00

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a man around today who knows more than I. Have about 20 plants that were gone yellow, shrivelled and curly leaves. I thought it was the drought. Turns out to be blackleg. Dug them up and put them in the compost bin. Had a think about that and changed them to the burning barrel. It is mostly in the Queens, some in the Red Duke of York and just a few in the Golden Wonders. All seed saved from last year bar the Dukes,

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. Is it significant that you used your own saved seed, do you think?
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you should raise that, Good Guy, because I've always understood that there are risks attached to saving your own seed for spuds BUT I was talking to a chap the other day who, like me, grows Kestrel and he does just that, so I'm confused. Mind you, his looked rather puny to mine so, whereas saved seed might grow, perhaps it's a false economy?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get so many different opinions that it can become confusing. All said with the best of intentions but when I hear them all then I am left wondering. For example, recently a local farmer called in and said that he had never known potato blight in my field and the reason was because it is so sheltered - surrounded by trees on all sides. Another man was in a few days back checking the aforementioned blackleg and stated that this field would be very prone to blight as the wind cannot blow through the plants.
If you read up on blackleg it cannot be detected in the seed nor is there any known cure. There are theories that it is harbouring in saved seed, which is why I mentioned it. For the amount that were affected I am not too worried as the loss is negligible - 20 something plants out of 3000 plus. It doesn't appear to have spread. I have been told to use saved seed for no more than 3 or 4 seasons so it becomes a gradual evolving process of certified and saved seed mixture.
MY NEXT POST WILL BE NO. 1000, CHLOROPHYLL FOR BLOOD YAAAAAAAAAAY. I WONDER WHO WILL GET IT?

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you can count, Tagwex? It says 1001 posts in the box above. Anyway, don't be getting above yoursel!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh good guy we have had this mathematical debate many times and you have lost every single one of them! Would you consider the simple fact that I have added another post since writing that post?

"don't be getting above yoursel!" sic.
Sure you are only an amateur compared to me!!!!!!!!!

PS. I know most of my posts are not on gardening issues before you say it.

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you win!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I usually do.
1000 posts is a good milestone, no?

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackleg is unmistakable. The haulm and leaves show the usual signs of a plant in distress, but if you look at the base of the stalk you'll notice that it is weak and dark in colour. Hence the name blackleg.

It is usually present on the seed at the time of planting, rather than being transmitted during the season.

As with all diseased plant material, never put it into the compost bin as that will aid to the spread of the disease in coming years.
Even the peelings of grocer-bought potatoes may harbour blight, which is why some people never put such fresh peelings into their compost bins.

Though there are benefits of saving one's own seeds, there are also potential pitfalls. Potato diseases such as blight may infect your potato crop, but only to a tiny degree. Though the seed may look healthy, it may harbour blight or other diseases. This may then strike the following season is planted. Same can be said of volunteer potatoes that remain in the soil.
Most seed potatoes on the Irish market are produced in the Scottish highlands at an altitude which is too high for blight.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
For example, recently a local farmer called in and said that he had never known potato blight in my field and the reason was because it is so sheltered - surrounded by trees on all sides. Another man was in a few days back checking the aforementioned blackleg and stated that this field would be very prone to blight as the wind cannot blow through the plants.

The two comments differ slightly though, don't they? The first states that there never has been blight, whereas the second says it's prone. I'd tend to side with the latter though. As the financial investment maxim goes:

Past Performance is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Are you sure you can count, Tagwex? It says 1001 posts in the box above. Anyway, don't be getting above yoursel!

I think the count gives the user's total count at the present time, rather than the number at the time of a given post?
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
Blackleg is unmistakable.

Yep MP. Learning something new here every week. My visitor explained it all to me and left with the comment that if I ever find a cure to be sure to let him know!!!

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
Even the peelings of grocer-bought potatoes may harbour blight, which is why some people never put such fresh peelings into their compost bins.

Most seed potatoes on the Irish market are produced in the Scottish highlands at an altitude which is too high for blight.

Yikes.We have been putting all potato peelings straight into the compost bin.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought a significant number of Irish seed came from Donegal.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
The two comments differ slightly though, don't they?

They were meant to as I was showing how I am receiving advice from different ends of the spectrum making things even more confusing for this mere novice.

Don't mind that good guy, sure he don't even know how many times he has burnt his hands on that stove of his!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: