Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Spider bites ?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Spider bites ? Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has been bitten recently....I've had a couple of bad reactions to some kind of a bite/sting when gardening. The culprit must be tiny, as I have no memory of swatting even a fly off my skin and certainly no memory of an actual bite/sting as it happened, so the culprit has to be very tiny.
The worst of the itching/swelling isn't immediate...it seems to take a couple of days before it reaches that point.
And no, it's not a flea.....I've had flea bites in the past when we had pets and I know exactly what they look like.
I'm kind of sad, as I now feel I should cover up arms and legs when gardening, as I'm concerned in case these reactions get worse the more bites I get.
Anyway, the husband thinks a tiny spider may be the culprit......any experts out there who could enlighten me ?
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just being stung by wasp on eye, bitten by horsefly and ants in the past week, but could you have been in contact with leylandii that would also cause a rash which looks like bites other than that I can be of no help as different people react differently to different bits and stings,
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Leylandii around, no these were definitely bites as I could see the exact spot at the centre of the swelling/redness.
I am so sorry to hear that you were stung on the eye by a wasp...that must have been painful, I hope you are OK.....do you know I haven't seen a single wasp in my garden this summer... ( so far )?
You are right that different people react to different bites/stings....I suppose I was just wondering whether we have spiders ( however small ) in Ireland that actually bite.
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While gardening I have been bitten / stung by Ants, wasps, a bumble bee, mosquitoes and horse fly, at the hives I get honeybee stings and regularly I have nettle stings and sometimes hog weed blisters!

There are biting spiders in Ireland but I would be surprised if a person would be bitten by a spider while gardening.

Of all the bites / stings, I know straight away with bees / wasps, and usually realise the horsefly is on me too late. Red ants can take a minute to register and then are not sore until evening and the next day. Mosquitoes... I think these I don't know about until later or until I hear the buzzing and then I know I have been stung,

For the bee stings (where there is a delayed reaction) I find that the homoeopathic remedy apis mellifera works brilliantly. (I never took homoeopathy for anything else before) It is especially for honey bee stings but perhaps there is something for other stings?

I would guess mosquitoes or midges for the kind of bite / sting that shows up later.

We do have a few wasps in the garden but nothing compared to last year.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are spiders that can bite, but wouldn't cause a reaction any more than a scratch from a rose. My best guess is a horse fly, which has scissor like jaws and gets you by stealth. After a day you'd end up with a pea to marble sized painful swelling.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been bitten by a horsefly and you certainly know all about it, as it is instantly painful....but that is the strange thing about these recent bites, whatever is doing it is very small and barely noticeable when biting ! It is only much later that the redness/swelling/itchiness becomes apparent.
Thanks for the replies...it will remain a mystery I think.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be from the garden at all Sive, bed bugs maybe, which would account for you not recalling being bitten/stung.
Horse flies are the absolute worst.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear something is giving you a miserable time, Sive. Maybe it will prove to be only active for a short period. I have found that rubbing my skin with a sprig of lavender deters midges but I don't know if it works for other b(l)iters. I get the worst reactions from clegs (horseflies), ticks and wasps - each to their own, I suppose.
Sive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that good guy.....I could use lavender essential oil.....that's worth a try.
Luckily we don't have a midge problem here ( nor bed bugs either !!!! ).
I suppose I'm just wary of allergic reactions to bites as my mother developed a serious allergy to wasp bites in her later years. But I don't want to get paranoid either.....I know that wasp/bee stings are different to other insect bites.
Let's be grateful we live in a country with no poisonous snakes or spiders.....we have it easy here !
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a thought, a possibility or logical reasoning to your dilemma. Hope you solve it soon.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just a question of being sensible and covering up when I'm in the thick of the flower beds weeding etc.
Bare arms and legs seem to be asking for trouble at this time of year... sure most of the year I'm well covered up as it's too cold to be doing anything else, so it's only a seasonal issue....and a short season at that really.
I blame this good weather.....we lose the run of ourselves and think we're living somewhere hot !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: