Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Rooting Blackcurrant in water

Most Recent Posts Announcement: Free Bloom 2017 tickets for three lucky members.
Last post: James Kilkelly
Compost question
Last post: Sue Deacon
Gathering your own horse manure
Last post: mange tout
Could somebody help ID these 2 plants please?
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Rooting Blackcurrant in water Reply with quote

I love growing blackcurrants and making jam and cordial from them.Can I root softwood cuttings in water and will they root?Any answer will be greatly appreciated thank you.
Always love to help!
Favourite Tree: Native Irish Holly
Favourite Bush: Forsythia
Favourite Flower: Rose
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcurrants take well from hardwood cuttings taken in autumn. At this time of year Layering may be more reliable and is my favourite easy method. Take a low growing branch / shoot, rub a few leaves off in the middle and bend down to the ground, hold there (in the place you rubbed the leaves off) with a stone, or with a long wire pin. When you come back in a few months it will have rooted. I often find that currants will make new plants by layering without any intervention from me.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eyes open for someone in your area with mature bushes. Many growers prune their bushes periodically or get rid of old ones and this can be your quickest method of getting multiple bushes of your own.

Holding the main stem with one hand, tear a side shoot downwards so that it has a 'heel' on it. Dip the heel in water, then in hormone rooting powder and plant in a good sized pot.

Most will be successful and one neighbour's prunings or one cast off bush can probably give you more new stock than you'll need. Once they show signs of being viable, plant them out into their final position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: