Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

pesticide & herbicide use

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie

Do you use non-organic pesticides and herbicides?
Never
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Regularly
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: pesticide & herbicide use Reply with quote

partly in response to this:

Quote:
The world’s most widely used insecticides have contaminated the environment across the planet so pervasively that global food production is at risk, according to a comprehensive scientific assessment of the chemicals’ impacts.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/24/insecticides-world-food-supplies-risk

i was wondering how often people use non-organic insecticides or herbicides?
i imagine such insecticides are used far less than the likes of roundup in your average garden.

so far, i've avoided using any herbicides, was just wondering about other people's experiences.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was meant to be a third option on that poll, but somehow it didn't submit properly. it was for people who use it as a last resort, e.g. for knotweed and the like.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use glyphosate on couch grass growing in my paths. Other weeds, I use boiling water. I put it in a small spray bottle, so I can spray from point blank range. I'd rather not, but I cannot afford to remove the membrane and wood chips, disturb the edging on my vegetable beds, and start again, only to have the problem return. I have a Provado bug killer, which I bought to control vine weevil on my houseplants. I used it this year on gooseberry sawfly, at 5am, so minimizing exposure to other insects. I even moved the ladybirds and spiders before I sprayed. Last resort is right.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use insecticides at all. Plenty of wildlife around here in the woods that surround me so it doesn't appear to be a problem. The bats do their bit too I suppose. As for the weeds and couch grass, good old glyphosphate by whatever company makes it does a great job.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say never, but it's as close to never as you can get so I ticked the never box.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't need to use slug pellets (or any other form of slug and snail control) because we have thrushes and other beasties visiting the garden which keep them in check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: