Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hiya all

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Pick out the the male of the species
Last post: marlin vs
MORE CROWS
Last post: The Fly
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!
Last post: mllejules
such vigorous, hardy flowering
Last post: mllejules

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you guess
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
perhaps down the bog like many are at the moment.

Forgive my ignorance but how does that work? Do people have plots that they own or lease, or is there a payment due for whatever is harvested or is it common land that anyone can stake a claim on to stock up on peat?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Margo wrote:
perhaps down the bog like many are at the moment.

Forgive my ignorance but how does that work? Do people have plots that they own or lease, or is there a payment due for whatever is harvested or is it common land that anyone can stake a claim on to stock up on peat?

Some people own a bog and then have it cut and then sell it in lines. Pending on whether you just have it for a fire or cook on it or both is how many lines you have. We only have one line as we only have an open fire and that lasts us to the next season.
What happens if you don't know and we didn't till we moved here is....

The turf is cut and it looks like a big bar of chocolate
About a fortnight later pending on the weather, you go down and turn it, so the wet side is upwards.
About a fortnight later you foot it. This is making piles of it to let the air get to it.
Then a couple of weeks of good weather and its brought home.

People do buy off of the owner of the bog or a dealer but as its done for you is much more expensive.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so how long and wide is a line (if there is a standard dimension) and how many tonne would that produce?

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I can get this right. Not sure about tonnage but once dried the turf bricks are very light. You buy a line. As I said its cut first and looks like a bar of chocolate. 1 line is 10 bricks wide. Its turned after so wet side up. Then footed into piles usually of 8 bricks and then brought home. Hopefully these photos will show you how its done.

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of hard labour and sun cream! And I thought cutting down trees and splitting them was hard work. Is it quite common then up those parts to have these lines or are more people dependent on gas or oil for heating?

Is that you right at the end of the line in the second photo doing an impression of a scarecrow?

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Looks like a lot of hard labour and sun cream! And I thought cutting down trees and splitting them was hard work. Is it quite common then up those parts to have these lines or are more people dependent on gas or oil for heating?

Is that you right at the end of the line in the second photo doing an impression of a scarecrow?

Yes its very hard work seeing we are in our late 60's. We go first thing in the morning or late evening when its not hot as its like a furnace over there in the sunshine. I think its common here especially as its cheaper than gas or oil. Ours cost roughly 100 a line which lasts us for the winter, where as gas or oil would be far dearer.
No its OH at the other end of the line. We are blessed with good neighbours as OH had major surgery for cancer last year and we couldn't do it and was going to buy it in. Our lovely neighbour and his grandson turned, footed and brought it in for us, and wouldn't take a penny. So we gave what we was going to give him to the Cancer Foundation instead.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very noble of you to do that but when you have been affected by these things directly it does make you think differently. My eldest son done a sky dive recently for Pieta House, my heart was in my mouth watching him until he landed safe and sound.

100 seems very cheap when compared to that volume of coal for example. A good sized tree around here is 250 to 300 and then cut it up yourself and that is fairly labour intensive, cut it down, cut it into rings, load the trailor, unload the trailor, split them and store them. Not forgetting all the twigs have to be tidied up and disposed of/burnt as well. And keep the chainsaws going and serviced.

20140613_152026.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.44 KB
 Viewed:  12119 Time(s)

20140613_152026.jpg

Last edited by tagwex on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Very noble of you to do that but when you have been affected by these things directly it does make you think differently. My eldest son done a sky dive recently for Pieta House, my heart was in my mouth watching him until he landed safe and sound.

100 seems very cheap when compared to that volume of coal for example. A good sized tree around here is 250 to 300 and then cut it up yourself and that is fairly labour intensive, cut it down, cut it into rings, load the trailor, unload the trailor, split them and store them. Not forgetting all the twigs have to be tidied up and disposed of/burnt as well. And keep the chainsaws going and serviced.

I'm afraid Cancer doesn't take prisoners. Luckily we stayed positive throughout as there's a lot of cancer in the family. After 6 weeks chemo and radiotherapy he had 10 hour surgery in April last year. When you go through that I think you want to put it back into the cancer fund. We was treated with respect and courtesy and friendship which really goes a long way. His treatment at Galway was superb and we can't fault them. So different when our son had his gall bladder removed (non cancer) in UK and had to wait 14 months in pain to have it done. So I don't think its noble Tagwex just gratitude. Congrats on your son doing his skydive.

As for the turf I think a lot of people round here have taken over their parents house so they are used to cooking with the turf and also much cheaper. We just have an open fire and told about the turf straight away. So not even thought about coal or wood.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am happy for you that your 'OH' came through it OK after what was surely worrying times. I meant noble as in magnanimous. honorable, worthy of merit.

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the bog the flowers are beautiful there
Graham Gibbs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to what Margo said about being the age they are,they have done wonders with their garden(only seen photos) and getting their own turf,and himself going through all that then I am proud to know them.He,s not a bad fisherman either.
Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Gibbs wrote:
Going back to what Margo said about being the age they are,they have done wonders with their garden(only seen photos) and getting their own turf,and himself going through all that then I am proud to know them.He,s not a bad fisherman either.

Bless your heart Graham you can have a sweetie. Youm a gooden
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to share these photos Margo or are they reserved for another forum? Apologies if they are on here somewhere but I know that I haven't seen them.

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put some on when I get 5 mins. The garden is looking a bit drab at the moment as I've cleared all the foliage etc from the tulips and daffodils. I've had to keep a lot of stuff in the Polytunnel as I couldn't get it out. My dahlias are in bloom in there as I thought I'd lost the ones I'd left outside. On clearing the debris I have found they are about a foot high, so I have got to find a place for the ones in the tunnel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: