Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from Co. Wicklow

Most Recent Posts colourful hedging
Last post: kindredspirit
conifer roots
Last post: kindredspirit
Planning the garden jobs month by month - JUNE
Last post: Sue Deacon
Leaves dropping off of holiies
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Hello from Co. Wicklow Reply with quote

Hello all,

I care for and love a large, rural, wild, family garden. Most of my energies go towards a couple of poly tunnels and the veg. patch. We started from scratch (bare field) in 1998 and I spend every spare moment in the garden. I guess we would be called organic.

Looking forward to participating now that I have finally got around to joining!

Kim
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim...welcome to IG...I used to live in Gorey and travelled a lot throughout Wicklow...lovely part of the Country...you wont be short of company in the "Polytunnelling" section and it wont be long before the other "Tunnellers" make themselves known to you...enjoy your stay and get stuck in...don't be a stranger...
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your welcome. The term " tunneller" is a new one to me! But I will happily rave about how great protected cropping is in an Irish garden, especially with small children.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kim. It's always good to hear from a new member. I'll be looking forward to reading your posts.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Good Guy said. Will be starting a tunnel myself soon in time for next year, just couldn't get around to it this spring.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your welcomes!

I don't know what took me so long to join this forum! I am fairly new to forums but I joined a bee keeping forum last year and all I do is post about what plants the bees are on, after awhile I realised I needed to talk to plant people! Now I hope I don't bore all of you about bees!

We have always had lots of bumble bees in the garden but I have become interested in what plants honey bees like as they are quite selective, a plant that is good for honeybees is often good for bumble bees but not necessarily the other way around.

I will start a thread in the wildlife section as wild honeybees and hived honeybees are the same species and there will be some overlap with bumble bees.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome along, As a contributor to the bumblebee monitoring scheme, by far the best plant in the garden for attracting bumblebees is Echium pininana, and geranium Wargrave pink.
why according to http://www.seedaholic.com/echium-vulgare-vipers-bugloss.html
Unlike many flowers. Echium has a most unusual feature. The nectar inside the flower is protected inside the flower, from vaporization (when itís hot) or being flushing away (when it rains).
This plant produces nectar throughout the day unlike most plants which produce nectar for a short period of time. (Not true it takes approx 45 mns for plants to reproduce nectar after it has been remove by bees.) If the bees have a good access to Echium they can collect between 12-20 lbs of nectar a day.
The plant continues to bloom throughout drought periods. The concentration of sugars in the nectar varies, from 22.6 to 48.3% depending on the quality of the soil, and not on the amount of rain.Ive added my own notes in bold. I have it growing in the garden reaching 13ft tall and full of bees.
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about how good the Echium is and I planted lots of Echium "blue bedder" this year. It is in full flower and does have bumble bee visitors and a few honey bees but so far I am disappointed. (A similar sized patch of Borage would have more bees) I will have to give the tree echium a try next year. I expect now is a good time to plant seeds for next year.
My OH and daughter also contribute to the bumblebee monitoring scheme, It is great for motivating observation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: