Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

First attempt at propagating cuttings..

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Virtus
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: First attempt at propagating cuttings.. Reply with quote

Hi there,

We just removed an old overgrown cryptomeia japonica elegans from our garden today. I have no experience at all with propogating from cuttings but decided, as an experiment, to just give it a go and hope for the best!

I took 50 or so cuttings, about 4 to 6 inches long, and planted them in ordinary multipurpose compost. I didn't have any growth hormone but I have read that honey can also be used to help rooting, whether by acting as a herbicide or as a foodstuff for the plant. Half the plants had their stems dipped in a little manuka honey and the other half just went straight in after some careful trimming.

I mostly selected the new green shoots and did my best to cut them at a 45 degree angle below the node, remove the spines around the lower stem, etc.

Do you think they'll have any chance at growing?

Is growth/rooting hormone essential for propogation? I imagine gardeners in the past could quite successfully propogate cuttings without it.

I don't have a greenhouse so I'm planning to just leave them outside for the next few weeks in the good weather and hope for the best. I could cover them with plastic if people think its really necessary. I wouldn't mind if only a few plants actually took and grew, it would just be nice to have something to remember the old tree by!

I have, most likely, done this all wrong. If that is the case do I have a window of a couple of days to take some cuttings from the dumped remains of the tree?

Thanks!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can nip out for some HRP, it will help a lot. It is only a couple of quid, and unless you are propagating massively, will last years. Your cuttings should be about 4-6" in total length, taken from the new growth formed this year. Also, if you can add sharp sand, vermiculite, perlite, or even a bit of small gravel to the compost it will increase your chances. Here's what the RHS have to say: http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=404
Virtus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tippben,

Out of interest, how long do you normally have after a tree its cut down to take cuttings? Going to get some hormone but the tree will have been cut down for about 2 days at that stage..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: