Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point

Snails n Slugs...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts New use for old tyres
Last post: tagwex
Quiet times
Last post: Good guy
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes. I actually did eat slugs once, on a survival course. The instructor recommended skewering them on a twig, then cooking them over the fire so they wouldn't be slimy. They tasted of soil, with the texture of old inner tube. I suspect that's why they never made it onto masterchef, yet if you were really stuck, they'd feed you.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, when a young teacher in a rural secondary school, I accompanied a group of 15 to 16 yr old school leavers on a "careers" visit to the local meat plant. The lads were interested to see what happened to the beast they reared at home. But when we entered the room where the heads were being split open to allow the brains to be extracted, and when the boys heard this was a delicacy for export to France, they were disgusted! (This was pre-BSE) Food? Logic???
For myself, seeing the slaughter/butchering process didn't put me off. It did raise my awareness of the realities involved in being a carnivore, though.
Ado 2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Slugs and snails Reply with quote

Hi there. Watching the Chelsea Flower Show on TV tonight someone mentioned putting composted sheeps wool around the lupins to keep the slugs away. Anyone any ideas on that and how to
go about composting the wool ? Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To compost wool, bracken must be added and is a very slow process and labour intensive and needs intense heat. Wool takes a long time to break down and cutting it up is a nightmare. It has very good water retention properties and is high in nitrogen. Probably best used to line hanging baskets.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Mews
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2EHSJTbts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hmw1IWf1ec

There is a product on the market called slug-gone. It's sold in Ireland by David Brennan. I get a 20 KG bag (35) from him once a year to use on my hostas and some select plants that are susceptible to slug and snail damage. It works well especially at the start of the growing season when there are lots of fresh green shoots and little else for slugs to eat and it needs to be replenished after about two months. However if you get a wet Summer it is ineffective as the water tends to pool on it and the slugs glide right across.

Another product that is really effective on slugs are nematodes sold as Nemaslug. I used it where I had a problem with slugs eating my potatoes and for the years I used it nothing was touched. I have not grown potatoes for the past two years due to work pressures not allowing me to find the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmftCjCk7c

Copper tape around containers works also I did it for the first time this year and so far the results are positive, none of the oriental mustard has been touched by snails. The sticks you see in the picture are to discourage cats from digging up seed and destroying the crop.

I have not tried the electric fence yet. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtdCBWeL4SQ

Other things that help are removing the cover for them to hide under. Beer traps I've found to be ineffective all they tell you you have slugs in an area, but you can already gauge that from the damage done. Also they don't go for Dutch Gold, more expensive beers seem to attract a few of them. Crying or Very sad

If you want to use pellets and I still do for new bedding plants, then create a cover with a large stone or slate cover nearby with enough crawl space and put the pellets under that. You do have to go around and clear them away afterwards. Pellets only get percentage of the slugs.

A particular problem I have in this garden are snails, during the Summer evenings around 10PM or earlier if its wet I go around with a bucket and pick them off, typically get around 30/40 of them in an evening and let them die in boiling water.

After about mid Summer I just let them be they can process the dying plants also there are quite a few around the compost heap I leave alone to do their thing.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Nemaslug to be effective, only afterwards I had many more snails! Win some, lose some😃
Ado 2

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only noticing the reply about the composted wool now thanks very much. I used that nemaslug two years ago and it worked very well for a while which was ok cos the plants strengthened then when they came back. I cut around a plastic bottle and surround the bottom of the plant for a while plus they don't like mussel shells either
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushed mussel shells, very sharp sand with broken shell, holly leaves. They all help.
Mews

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried cabbage collars for the first time around some kale and broccoli plants as you can see from the slime trail the snails made a go for it but backed off.

Blowin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mews - does your supplier have a website for ordering? I watched the video by the Scots fella but, when I clicked on Dave Brennan, I found myself needing to be on Facebook. On a matter of principle I will not go on that or any other social media site so would like an alternative.
Mews

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Mews - does your supplier have a website for ordering? I watched the video by the Scots fella but, when I clicked on Dave Brennan, I found myself needing to be on Facebook. On a matter of principle I will not go on that or any other social media site so would like an alternative.

I get my supplies from him at the ISNA shows. You will find his contact details on the ISNA link so you can check with him if he'll be at a show near you. He does not do post and packaging (how many couriers want to carry sheep sh!t).

Mews

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA some garter snakes will eat slugs. Obviously not a runner here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vr6icptrR0

Ducks and chickens will too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTqHwnhn5k

Top ten - Natural slug control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNMvyPHJZ-k

Blowin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Mews. It transpires the nearest ISNA event to me will involve a 100+ mile round trip so not a realistic option - but the thought was there.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
I found Nemaslug to be effective, only afterwards I had many more snails! Win some, lose some😃

One would think that it would kill both species seeing as they are so similar but then the name gives it away too I suppose.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nematodes that parasitise the slugs penetrate through the slugs skin. Snails have shells, so.......

Mews, thanks for those videos. Aren't the ducks some crack? I encourage lots of birds and I also have a large frog population. I always did, even before my wildlife pond. It's a long time since I've seen a hedgehog in the garden but I provide plenty of shelter habitat for them so they may well be there.
I do have slugs, of course, but they're not a major problem. And thrushes love the snails!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: