Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Fagus sylvatica dying, help needed

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Drakon
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Fagus sylvatica dying, help needed Reply with quote

Hi all

In late March this year my fried gave me a matured common beech tree (about 6 years old). I planted the tree in my garden (Wexford area ) using compost, soil improver and original soil that is clay like Smile. The tree was in dormant state about 3m high and within first month and a half grew another meter (4m now). When the leaves were quite young we got very strong wind for about 2 days. Since that I think the tree started getting a psychological leaf scorch (I think) problem. The soil is very wet (due to clay problem that doesn't absorb very well). Could you advise if I can still save the tree as not sure what is really causing the issue and the leaf scorch problem is very severe . I have a maple tree next to the beech, which also seems to have same problem Sorry for my language, English is not my native language

Luka

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  316.43 KB
 Viewed:  1803 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Capture3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.16 KB

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.67 KB

Capture2.JPG

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was dormant when you planted it and you watered it it is probably leaf scorch from strong winds, it will be ok in time. Maples regularly suffer from leaf scorch they need shade when young.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young leaves are tender things. Lots of my plants were scorched in the spring of 2013 by the cold, dry wind. Having said that, beech does not like to have 'wet feet', so if you can't easily improve the drainage where it is growing, consider moving it next winter, planting it on a small mound to which you have added lots of coarse grit and leaf mould or compost, or if you know of a beech wood nearby, you could maybe collect a bin bag or two of rotted leaf litter to mix into your soil.
phelim_d
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That maple should survive in that ground. Assuming it is like the sycamore I plant- they are quite tough and will survive in a lot of ground, including soggy but not too wet.

Is there anyway you can drain the wetness away from the trees/garden?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: