Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

red 'egg like' stuff on sycamore leaves - what is it?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rowdy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: red 'egg like' stuff on sycamore leaves - what is it? Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea what this strange looking stuff is? I found it all over quite a few leaves on sycamore tree in my garden - is it the eggs of some insect and should i be worried about it's presence?

what is this stuff.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.96 KB
 Viewed:  3683 Time(s)

what is this stuff.jpg

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Is the young lad still interested in your efforts?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galls on leaf surface of sycamore probably caused by the eriophyid mite Eriophyes macrorhynchus aceribus, nothing to worry about enjoy nature. Im being very good here not to complain about the weed (Sycamore)
Rowdy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greengage, good to know it's nothing to worry about but i figured it worth asking to be sure - I hear you on the sycamore weed thing but this particular weed is a huge old one that's been around longer than I have so I figure it's not my place to kill it - it does keep me busy sweeping up it's various droppings and keeping it 'pruned' but I don't have it in me to cut it down completely. Besides, and I know this is controversial but it is a rather nice feature in my tiny little garden

Cheers Tagwex - I've been around and keeping an eye on here, just haven't had a lot to say. I note that we are burdened with the same affliction - being a gooner is probably more frustrating than rewarding i think you'll agree Confused
Yes the nephew is busy watering his potato grow bag - it'll possibly be the most anticipated plate of spuds in the country Smile the runner beans and strawberries are also proving a hit so I think I've got him Cool

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowdy wrote:
I note that we are burdened with the same affliction - being a gooner is probably more frustrating than rewarding i think you'll agree Confused

Being a gooner has a good feel about it this year, head high once again.

I had to make a little plot in my veg patch for an 8 year old, the partners grandson, only 9' * 9' but there is loads in it (strawberries, onion, carrot, lettuce, radish, turnip, leek and shallots), probably too much as I just crammed stuff in for effect. He loves it and takes a great interest and I keep getting messages to water it for him. Put a wooden frame around it and a net over it. Did you ever watch that advert I posted up?

Rowdy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that we are a long way off from winning the PL Tagwex but yes the cup win was a welcome boost to morale Very Happy
I did watch that ad you posted and did get a good chuckle out of it - I seem to be on for a better return than the young lad featured in the ad but I have to admit his sole carrot is 1 more than i have managed to produce - I just can't seem to get carrots to grow Confused My few potato grow bags seem to be doing OK, some of the earlies have fallen over, curiousity got the better of me about 10 days ago so I dug one up - a couple of salad sized spuds and a load of marbles - yikes!! hope the bit of heat around recently will help the tubers develop in remaining bags. My salads are flying along and making it to the table, tomatoes flowering and first fruits starting to show (interestingly, so far only on the ones I used the eggshell & banana skin idea, no fruit on others as yet) My strawberry plants seem good and healthy but not a sign of any hint of fruit yet so I'm mildly concerned about that ... now, off to figure out what I'm doing wrong with those blasted carrots Question

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premier league will come, just be patient.
I am having the same problem with carrots as they are very slow to germinate. Mine are in almost a month and I only spotted the first curly leaves a couple of days back. A neighbour down the road is having the same problem of not germinating and his were sown two weeks before mine, just be patient.
With regard to early spuds, wouldn't dream of lifting any of mine for five weeks yet, just be patient.
My strawberries are turning red since Saturday last. Will pick a few at the weekend. Now I would be worried about them if they are in their second or third year. If it's the first year then don't expect a whole lot.
There is a recurring theme above as I'm sure you noticed. I was the same as you last year, digging things up before their time only to be disappointed with what I found. Couldn't wait to see the results of my labour, I have no patience either.
Crops are ready in their own time and only then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: