Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

sowing seeds for next year

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
aine
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: sowing seeds for next year Reply with quote

I was wondering if now is the time to sow seeds for perennials to flower next year
I'm thinking of lupins, foxglove, aquilega, phlox etc?

I have space in top of our garage, its a dormwr roof with velux windows and is quite warm. Would this environment suffice?

Any other information or advice is welcome too
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxgloves are prolific self-seeders, so should be easy to grow but remember they are biennial and will flower only in their second year. Aquilegias also self-seed easily. I sowed lupins in March and they are now quite strong little plants.
All these seeds would have been better sown a month or two ago, but I don't see why you couldn't start now....I'm sure they'll catch up. What does anyone else think ?
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted Aquilegias 20 years ago and am still trying to get rid of them, Lupins should have been sown earlier mine got decimated by slugs. Foxgloves just scatter the seed in late summer you will have leaves next year then flowers I am still trying to succeed with just white ones but I suspect they interbreed when im not looking.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol Klein showed how to distinguish between young foxgloves on one of her programmes. It seems the ones that are going to grow up normally-coloured have a darkish flush to the leaves of the immature plant. Those that are going to be white are all green. She was transplanting young plants that were about 100 to 120mm across.
I planted some bought-in white ones this year and I'll see if I can distinguish between the seedlings next spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: