Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Tiny Flies all over exterior of house

Most Recent Posts New here
Last post: tagwex
briquetter maker
...What did you do Today...
Redesigned back garden. Would like your suggestions.
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Astra
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Tiny Flies all over exterior of house Reply with quote

Hi, I am writing in desperation at the moment. My house, specifically around windows, doors, gables and fascia, is completely swamped with really tiny flies and any time I open a door they are in . I can no longer open the windows. Does anyone know of a permanent way to get get rid of them? My front wall is covered in ivy which i plan on ripping down in case that is the source of them but I would really appreciate anyone elses views or has anyone a similar problem?
They started arriving at the end of last summer and died out during the winter but are back now in their droves and i cannot face another summer of them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Tiny Flies all over exterior of house Reply with quote

Hello Astra. There is a mention of small flies and ivy already here in this post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about598.html so the ivy may be harbouring them. Have you seen any of the black mould mentioned in that particular post?

Crosseyedsheep posted this helpful list of pest repellant plants in this post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366

One other post to look at is this http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116 where GPI posted a pic of his disgusting but effective fly trap. Possibly place a few of these outside away from your doorway to lure the flies away.
Good Luck.
verge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Fly repellant plants for Tiny Flies over exterior of house Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your trouble Astra.
What I have learned is that flies hate strong smelling plants especially those which emit aromatic oils. So try the following, it will work.

Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
Grow it next to the house or cut sections of it and hang it outside your doors and windows to drive the flies away.

The common herbs.
sage (Salvia officinalis),
thyme (Thymus vulgaris),
marjoram or oregano (Origanum vulgare),
basil (Ocimum basilicum),
Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
summer savory (Satureia hortensis ),
hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis ),
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officianalis)
catmint (Nepeta)
mint (Mentha sp.)
Grow them next to the house, in a window box or the window sill inside or you could also cut sections of them and hang it outside your doors and windows to drive the flies away. You can also use them in your cooking

Indoor geranium (Perlagonium sp.)
Grow them next to the house, in a window box or the window sill inside or you could also cut sections of them and hang it outside your doors and windows to drive the flies away.

All those scents are enough to drive me away. Laughing I would also trim back your Ivy, maybe not remove it totally

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Astra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much folks for all of your help. Trimmed the ivy back completely yesterday and will definately start planting the garden up with some repellant plants. I really appreaciate all your tips, they may well save my sanity!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: