Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Price of a pea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Most Recent Posts Pick out the the male of the species
Last post: marlin vs
MORE CROWS
Last post: The Fly
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!
Last post: mllejules
such vigorous, hardy flowering
Last post: mllejules

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blowin, I said I would keep you informed about the Thompson & Morgan pea seed germination rate. Glad to report that I am happy, over 95% germination. They are the ones in the right hand drill from the center of the picture to the background. Putting a fence up on them today.

20140626_160235.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.76 KB
 Viewed:  12024 Time(s)

20140626_160235.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that lot grows to its full potential, you'll have to open a shop. No wonder you don't fancy shelling them all.

Just out of interest, what's your plan with the garden? How many mouths do you have to feed? Acres of spuds is understandable as you can store them quite easily and grow for the whole year. Other crops like curly kale, leeks, parsnips etc can overwinter in the soil until needed.

We've got peas coming out of our ears off my 22ft row so how on earth are you going to cope with that lot?

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
If that lot grows to its full potential, you'll have to open a shop. No wonder you don't fancy shelling them all.

A shop indeed, have planted way more than the two of us will manage to eat. Am going to stick a sign out on the road when the 'season of plenty' arrives. I got a pile of those 20kg potato bags and I am thinking of selling a variety of veg for say 20 per bag. For example, 10kg of potatoes, 1 kg of carrots, 1kg of onions, a head of lettuce, 1 cabbage, 2 sweetcorn cobs, a few broccoli heads ahh you get the idea. Need to do some market research first though.

What is sown so far is.....
1650m of 10 potato varieties.
Approx 3000 onions, several varieties including leeks.
Maybe 2000 carrots, 4 varieties.
Several hundred each of swede and turnip.
5 varieties of cabbage.
4 varieties of broccoli.
Kohl robi.
Garlic.
Beetroot.
Sweetcorn, approx. 80.
Cauliflower 100+.
20 brussels sprouts.
24 celery.
Lettuces.
Radish.
Spinach.
90 runner beans.
40 broad beans.
1700+ peas, 7 varieties I think.
Tomatoes.
Peppers.
Parsnips.
Strawberries, 47 plants.

Some late variety veg still to be sown. And some of the above went in late so may not be a success. At this hour I cannot remember the quantities of them all. Storage is indeed something that I will have to look into very soon. Some veg will be given away to family members and to people that have helped me out this year, e.g. the man who gave me farmyard manure, the two lads who helped me sow the potatoes and ploughed/rotavated, the man who gave me the glass from his disused greenhouse for my greenhouse, the man who gave me the spare fascia boards to be transformed into my 'tombstone' plant identification labels. Should get rid of it all somehow.

Blowin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! If you treat yourself to an honest debriefing session at the end of the season, I imagine next year could be different?
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes my 5 raised beds seem puny! Well done, it's a real market garden. I wish you well with it.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lads. Sometimes I do wonder if it is worth it at all!

Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing.I have hurst green shaft and I got them for 1.99
Always love to help!
Favourite Tree: Native Irish Holly
Favourite Bush: Forsythia
Favourite Flower: Rose
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got them cheaper than I did then. See page 1 of this thread.

Edlyn12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex I saw the prices,they're outrageous,before I got seeds,I forget what seeds they were.I bought them for 4 an then I found the same brand and variety for 1.50,I hate the different seed prices,especially the expensive seeds.
Blowin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edlyn12 - Go back through this thread and you'll see there's no need to buy seeds every year if you save the last of each year's crop, dry them out and use them the following year. I know it's four pages long but worth a read.
Edlyn12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin,I would like to save my own seeds,I did last year.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my seeds in one of four local garden centres but mostly in the one closest to me, only half a mile away. Even if it is a little more costly I get all the advice I want and he always throws a few freebies my way. The only seed I saved last year (my first year of veg gardening) was potatoes but this year i will be saving peas too. I will also try to save other veg too this year when i find out from the experts here how to do it properly.
I must start shopping in Castlegregory too! Are you sure the quantities are the same though? That could be the difference.

tippben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tagwex"][quote="Blowin"]If that lot grows to its full potential, you'll have to open a shop. No wonder you don't fancy shelling them all.[/quote]

A shop indeed, have planted way more than the two of us will manage to eat. Am going to stick a sign out on the road when the 'season of plenty' arrives. I got a pile of those 20kg potato bags and I am thinking of selling a variety of veg for say 20 per bag. For example, 10kg of potatoes, 1 kg of carrots, 1kg of onions, a head of lettuce, 1 cabbage, 2 sweetcorn cobs, a few broccoli heads ahh you get the idea. Need to do some market research first though.

What is sown so far is.....
1650m of 10 potato varieties.
Approx 3000 onions, several varieties including leeks.
Maybe 2000 carrots, 4 varieties.
Several hundred each of swede and turnip.
5 varieties of cabbage.
4 varieties of broccoli.
Kohl robi.
Garlic.
Beetroot.
Sweetcorn, approx. 80.
Cauliflower 100+.
20 brussels sprouts.
24 celery.
Lettuces.
Radish.
Spinach.
90 runner beans.
40 broad beans.
1700+ peas, 7 varieties I think.
Tomatoes.
Peppers.
Parsnips.
Strawberries, 47 plants.

Some late variety veg still to be sown. And some of the above went in late so may not be a success. At this hour I cannot remember the quantities of them all. Storage is indeed something that I will have to look into very soon. Some veg will be given away to family members and to people that have helped me out this year, e.g. the man who gave me farmyard manure, the two lads who helped me sow the potatoes and ploughed/rotavated, the man who gave me the glass from his disused greenhouse for my greenhouse, the man who gave me the spare fascia boards to be transformed into my 'tombstone' plant identification labels. Should get rid of it all somehow.[/quote]

If you wanted, you could do a veg box scheme, where subscribers pick them up from local shops.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaaysus tippben I laughed out loud when I read that. Not laughing at your idea now as it is a good one and I have heard of something similar before. The reason is we live in a small village area with one good size supermarket, a pub, church, National school and community centre and no more. The shop is well run and has just about everyrthing you need in it, I have seen smaller supermarkets in a town. It has a huge catchment area and it is maybe 5 miles minimum to the next shop (which I rarely frequent) in any given direction and is always busy. But the reason I laugh is obviously, you don't know the owner, he sells veg too and to say he wouldn't be keen on competition would be to put it mildly. He has a finger in everything that goes on around here and a lot of say - multi millionaires usually do. I am expecting a retort when I put up my little roadside sign in a few weeks as if I was going to put him out of business! Thinking of seeking out the head woman in the local ICA to start the ball rolling.

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Country Market near you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: