Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

griselinia between leylandii

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: griselinia between leylandii Reply with quote

I have just recently planted 4 leylandii which are five feet tall and three feet apart. I want a quick screen and want to put griselinia between them. Can anyone forsee any problems?. Note it is leylandii castlewellan gold which is a bit slower growing
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Leylandi will smother the Griselinia.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five feet tall now. You underestimated the spacing by about double. They will want to spread 18" each way every year, and more than that on top. Assuming you want a hedge less than 10' wide and 20' tall, you picked the wrong plant. If you want to keep them, forget any other plants. You will be throwing away money.
member11809

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Five feet tall now. You underestimated the spacing by about double. They will want to spread 18" each way every year, and more than that on top. Assuming you want a hedge less than 10' wide and 20' tall, you picked the wrong plant. If you want to keep them, forget any other plants. You will be throwing away money.
Not sure what you mean. They are too close or not close enough?

Foot and half each way each year? Will the castlewellan variety grow that fast?
That is fine by me. I want hedge 7 feet tall and one foot wide as soon as possible

I do not believe they cannot be kept below 10 feet wide and 20 feet tall. If you do not like them that is your choice. i do and i have a reason for them ,
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodbye griselinia
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i plant the griselinia still in pot between the leylandii and move it when the leylandii fills in. Would it grow buried in the pot?. I have seen people doing this
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you now that want a 1 foot wide hedge. Leylandi is not suitable for a one foot wide hedge.
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
I see you now that want a 1 foot wide hedge. Leylandi is not suitable for a one foot wide hedge.
why not, how wide must it be? I want a screen about 7 feet tall and can handle two feet wide
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok put up chain netting wire and plant ivy along it , two feet wide and seven feet tall no problem
http://www.ivydenegardens.co.uk/Hedging%20Plant%20Gallery/gardenhedgesmob.html
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leylandii are in. The space is 18 feet long. I want them seven feet high. How wide can they be
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig up the Leylandi then.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
member11809

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Dig up the Leylandi then.
why how wide can they be?
http://www.leylandii.com/faq.html "If you trim your Leylandii hedge every year, you can keep it as narrow as 18 inches (45cm). Just trim it back to the same width every year from the start."

https://www.evergreenhedging.co.uk/faq/#21
"Yes, leylandii can be kept trimmed to any height and width. It is a myth that they can't be kept small. If you want to keep a leylandii hedge small, you will need to trim it twice a year to keep it looking neat. We have kept a leylandii hedge at 120cm (4ft) tall by 45cm (18 inches) wide for 20 years by trimming it twice a year. There is also a picture of a 90cm (3ft) leylandii hedge on our Hedge Gallery - proof that they can be kept small. To keep a hedge narrow, you need to trim off any shoots/branches coming out of the hedge wider than you want the hedge to be. Do this from the start, as soon as you plant the hedge, and you will encourage the side shoots to grow within the hedge. This will create a narrow hedge that "fills in" quicker"
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you are determined to keep them. Fair enough. They can make great plants, and could make a thick hedge quickly, but I stand by what I said about trying to introduce other plants. They will get outcompeted and die.

I am doubtful about your links recommending "twice a year" though. To keep them that small you'll basically have to treat them like a lawn: every time it grows two inches, trim off one. It will grow inexorably outward and upward. "The golden form of leylandii, Castlewellan, grows slightly slower than the green form (approx 75-80cm per year)". Yes. That is in all directions.

Unfortunately, that means that you won't get the full effect of the golden terminal shoots. Don't be tempted to cut deeper, which you will as it grows. Once you cut too deep and a brown patch appears, it's there forever. It cannot green up again.

My prediction: You are in for several years of backbreaking work every few weeks over the summer months. Your plants will get too big and wide, and start to look a bit scabby as a result of your efforts to tame them and force them to your will. Then you will cut them down, have to replace the soil where they grew, and have to buy something else.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on.
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10180.html

Can anyone sse any problem with replacing them with above?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: