Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Sharpening a slasher

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Virtus
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Sharpening a slasher Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have been clearing back an old dead hedge with an old slasher we had in the shed. The edge is rather dull and I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to go about sharpening it.

I have been looking online on various sharpening stones and was thinking of getting this which I could also use for secateurs and pruning knives.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Scythe-Sharpener-Stone-Heavy/dp/B0036HMX22/ref=sr_1_7?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1401235734&sr=1-7&keywords=sharpening+stone#productDescription

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Felco-FELCO903-Felco903-Diamond-Sharpener/dp/B000RT6ZBM/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1401235734&sr=1-3&keywords=sharpening+stone

I also saw some guides which recommended using a rasp file. In fairness I'll probably end up getting someone to use a grinder on it but it would be good to know for the future.

Anyone have any links to good sharpening guides?

Thanks
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert but I do know this much, there is a real art to sharpening with those things. If you get one I suggest that you find some old timer with the knack and learn from them. Failing that just use an ordinary file and feel your way along as you do it, if it is really blunt give it a touch of the grinder and then file it. Use the grinder too often and you will have no blade at all. By doing it right you can literally get a razor sharp finish.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a grinder to remove the "shoulder" of the edge if it's really bad. My general sharpening kit is flat chainsaw files for the rough work, then a small diamond file for the fine edge, then an old leather belt as a strop. If you clean and touch up the blade after each use, you will end up with a very good blade.
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them fancy looking stones are just whet stones some need to be wetted before use and some need to be used dry, as mentioned above their is a knack and its all in the rhythm and avoiding slashing yourself, watching someone do it looks easy but its not.Practice practice practice and you will be an expert.
this is a little boring but he does it in slow motion. (Only one i could find)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXgOgjbVoJg
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those Felco sharpening stones. It's about 8cm long and I wouldn't use it for anything other than a small hand tool, name my Felco secateurs.
For a crude tool like a shovel, slasher, etc, I use a basic metal file, about 40cm in length, excluding handle.
I'm sure there are a few videos on YouTube.
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the tool you need for cutting those hazel poles for the runner beans. When I was a kid that is what everyone used for hedging and they sharpened them with a dry carborundum stone looking like the one you give a link to or with a wet sandstone one which came from a quarry near Maguire's Bridge. It was quite a knack. I wish I'd learned it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: