Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Cherry Blossom - no leaves on lower limbs

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tipperary
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Cherry Blossom - no leaves on lower limbs Reply with quote

We have a Winter Flowering Cherry Blossom in our front garden which was planted just under five years ago. There has been no problems with the tree up to this year.
This year, there are no leaves on the lower limbs of the tree, and some of the smaller twigs do not appear to have any live in them. The higher limbs appear to be fine.
There are a number of other plants nearby which are doing fine, although the laurel hedge about two metres away has a number of holes in the leaves.
Is it possible to identify what is causing the loss of leaves? I have attached some photos of the tree.

IMG_20140523_174800.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  320.41 KB
 Viewed:  6469 Time(s)

IMG_20140523_174800.jpg

IMG_20140523_174728.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  415.92 KB

IMG_20140523_174728.jpg

IMG_20140523_174736.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  421.61 KB

IMG_20140523_174736.jpg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very difficult to tell from pictures, but it seems under stress, Are there any mushrooms growing around the tree, is the stem bleeding a thick oooze, have the leaves holes in them are they curled up some more info might help and a closeup of one of the leaves. was it planted bare rooted or was it in a pot. I already have a theory but need more info before i commit.
tipperary

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. There are no mushrooms around the tree, or any signs of illness or oozing on the stem.
The few leaves on the lower branches are curled up, there are no holes visible on these. It was in a pot when it was planted five years ago.
I hope that is enough to verify or rule out your theory.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Crosshaven! Not Tipperary.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. To me, that looks like classic symptoms of a root problem, rather than a pest. Is this the first year that this has happened? My initial thoughts are a) disturbance - has anything damaged the root system within 1m of the stem? b) compaction - has the root system been put under pressure by heavy weight, or repeated foot fall? c) Suffocation. It looks exactly like what happens when the root collar of a tree is planted below the soil surface, yet you say it's been in 5 years... Has anything been put on top? d) pollution. has anything gone on the soil like a chemical, oil/diesel etc? unlikely, as your other plants seem ok, but it'd only need to happen once. (edit) When planted from a pot, how long was it in the pot? The roots could've become pot bound.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
d) pollution. has anything gone on the soil like a chemical, oil/diesel etc? unlikely, as your other plants seem ok, but it'd only need to happen once.

My two pennies worth, but it is not a diagnosis of what is wrong, it is more to help you 'experts' in your diagnosis. This tree is right beside a public road and a fire station is directly across the road, so there could have been some pollutant at some stage washing in to the site. There were, up to a few years ago, less than 10, mature trees on this very spot at the roadside. Cleared to make way for the new house.

Greengage

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is dying due to drought, now last summer was a scorcher and you never watered it a big tree like that transplanted from a tub needs lots of water to become established, watch this space in 3 years time as large number of newly planted trees will die off due to the same problem, After a long hot spell when the ground dries out it can take up to 3 years before the effects are seen, Had this long discussion with eminent botanist about trees dying from drought and this is his conclusion, the work and effort I put into answering these questions knows no bounds. Laughing
tipperary

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
tippben wrote:
d) pollution. has anything gone on the soil like a chemical, oil/diesel etc? unlikely, as your other plants seem ok, but it'd only need to happen once.

My two pennies worth, but it is not a diagnosis of what is wrong, it is more to help you 'experts' in your diagnosis. This tree is right beside a public road and a fire station is directly across the road, so there could have been some pollutant at some stage washing in to the site. There were, up to a few years ago, less than 10, mature trees on this very spot at the roadside. Cleared to make way for the new house.

Tagwex, I am impressed with your knowledge of the area, particularly for someone from Wexford!
You are correct that the spot is directly across from a fire station, but the boundary wall was not disturbed along here, so I would doubt that there has been some pollutant washed onto the area.

Tippben, the area where the tree is planted is in a raised bed, so there wouldn't have been anything to damage the roots or compact the soil. There hasn't been any additional plants added near it in recent years. When planted from the pot I don't really remember if it appeared to be pot bound.

Greengage, that is an interesting possibility. You are correct that this area was not watered last summer as I believed the plants here were well established.

If it is drought or root damage, is there anything I can do to stop the tree from declining further? Would some tree fertiliser around the base be any use at this stage?

I appreciate all the input everybody!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel a lot in my Romany caravan!
I am impressed with you calling yourself tipperary and you living way down in the south of Cork.

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do 'Private Detecting' as a nixer? You'd be good at it!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tipperary wrote:

Tagwex, I am impressed with your knowledge of the area, particularly for someone from Wexford!
You are correct that the spot is directly across from a fire station, but the boundary wall was not disturbed along here, so I would doubt that there has been some pollutant washed onto the area.

Is that a compliment because I am quite a bit away from you or a dig at Wexfordians that some of us may not have travelled the country and know a few spots here and there? My job brings me all over, have worked in Cork several times.
I would expect most pollutants to have come through the soil and therefore under the wall. You just wouldn't know what is going on at the fire station, what chemicals are in use, what gets flushed down a leaking drain, washing down/servicing tenders etc. etc.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Do you do 'Private Detecting' as a nixer? You'd be good at it!

I could detect you good guy very quickly if I put my mind to it and then you would be in big trouble!!!
I still haven't forgotten about the box hedging roots.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another thought, this house and driveway is under the road so there may be an element of digging out the natural strata of the soil to achieve the required levels and the builders did their 'best' to make it look right. So things may not be as natural as they should be underground, MAYBE.

tipperary

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
tipperary wrote:

Is that a compliment because I am quite a bit away from you or a dig at Wexfordians that some of us may not have travelled the country and know a few spots here and there? My job brings me all over, have worked in Cork several times.
I would expect most pollutants to have come through the soil and therefore under the wall. You just wouldn't know what is going on at the fire station, what chemicals are in use, what gets flushed down a leaking drain, washing down/servicing tenders etc. etc.

Tagwex, that was a compliment! I'm not one of those people that start insulting those who are trying to help!

The site has actually been filled at the location of the tree by about 2 foot! There was originally steps down into the old garden from the road.
If the issue was pollution, would it have affected the other plants also? Or would the tree have deeper roots and therefore be more susceptible to pollution in the ground?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take it as one so, it was just that I could read it both ways.
Well it seems we might be getting somewhere, but you are better off listening to the likes of greengage and tippben for the actual reason than me. I would say yes to your question but as stated, let the experts have their say. Made up ground is not always ideal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: