Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Gawk Lawn

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bob Skunkhouse
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Gawk Lawn Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering could someone gawk at these pics and suggest the best course of action.

In the L1 image, the top red rectangle there's not much grass growing there, mostly buttercups and a wheen a weeds. If I spread sand will that help in the drainage problem? Unfortuately I neither have the time nor money to sort out the drainage problem. I was also thinking of sectioning off that area and planting with shrubs that like wet/poor ground and covering with mulch. Would this be an alternative plan?
same image - the brown marks are weeds/thistles that have been burned off with weedkiller. Will the grass grown naturally into these areas or do I need to sow grass seed into them? If so, can I sow directly onto the existing soil or do I need to cover with sand/soil?

Second image (L2) - any suggestions to get uniformity in the grass growing....?
As you can see there's 'streaks' of grass where it's grown better than other areas. If i just let it go will it 'come' eventually or do i need to apply grass seed - again, sow directly onto the soil or with sand/soil?

Final question - I've a decent supply of builders sand (for block laying) around the house. I know it's not ideal sand for lawns, but in the event of no funds, is it acceptable if I mix it through top soil (maybe 4:1 ratio soil to sand) to bulk up my supply?

L2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.94 KB
 Viewed:  1203 Time(s)

L2.jpg

L1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.43 KB
 Viewed:  1203 Time(s)

L1.jpg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all grass seeds germinate at the same rate. Some seeds may fail to grow at all. The seeds' inability to develop causes a newly planted lawn to take on a patchy appearance. Overseeding the lawn with new grass seeds can take care of the unsightly appearance. A newly planted lawn can also suffer a patchy appearance from excessive foot traffic, Note the footballers goal in the background, lack of adequate water or poor soil nutrients. A new lawn can also succumb to disease. but it dose not look diseased, so how to fix if its very wet try to improve drainage builders sand is useless it will worsen the problem as granules will congeal and prevent drainage, I would leave it for another season and see what happens when mowing cut high, let us know how you get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: