Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Help with front garden beds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 4. Consider evergreen Berberis, the one with the orange flowers.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
mel.b
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
Your Grevillea needs acidic soil and will not do well in your extremely alkaline soil.

If you wish to save it, dig it up and put it in a pot filled with ericaceous compost..

A good ground cover for pebbles in poor light is Ajuga, the purple variety.

Thanks Kindredspirit. This is the top soil that was imported when you collected the rocks. In the other garden bed that I did nothing to I have another grevilliea that is really flourishing - see pic below, it is the tall green one at the back against the wall. I wonder if its worth moving the one that isn't doing well into this garden bed?

I'll have a look at the Ajuga as well, thanks Smile

Last edited by mel.b on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajuga will be something you will be pulling out for the next 20 years if it gets established as it knows no bounds.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ajuga growing beautifully where few other plants survive. I have had to confine comfrey to a container to stop it taking over the garden. But yesterday, when visiting my gardening friend I commented on the beautiful patch of comfrey that edged her drive. The soil is so poor that the plant is all flowers and the leaves are small. Nothing else will grow there. Horses for courses.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I'd move the Grevillea.

I always move my plants if they're not happy. Sometimes I give them a stern talking to as well, telling them they're in the Last Chance saloon. I think plants can hear. Smile Smile

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s637217.htm
Link above relates to soil PH of Grevilleas. They also don't like solid compacted clayey soils.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindred Spirit left that place in some mess!!!
Paint those walls.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
mel.b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Kindred Spirit left that place in some mess!!!
Paint those walls.

Any mess is mine, but it doesn't matter as this unexpectedly arrived today...

No rest for the wicked Razz

I got some paint yesterday to do the the new wall next to my gate...I may have enough left over to so the smaller walls as well.

I planted some sweet pea in the planter box out the back next to my back door and it made me wonder if you planted sweet pea in hanging baskets would it eventually trail downwards or would it still try & climb?

Last edited by mel.b on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity will win in the end. That is definitely a KS mess. I can see his fingerprints all over the place.

mel.b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a load of perennials today at the Clare Garden Festival and a load of bulbs etc yesterday for half price in homebase. These are to go in my new garden bed in the back yard. I have planted all of the bulbs (probably around 150) and they are all summer flowering, starting in June/July. So the question is, what to do with the perennials? Plant them now and hope for the best, that they are in the right spot, or leave them in their pots until the bulbs start to show (if they do Laughing )

The perennials I have are:
a couple of different types of geraniums
sedum telephium
cardamine raphani...
heuchera ravel
astrantia major
aster lateriflorus
thalictrum delavayi
verbascum chaixii

Thanks Smile
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel.b, I'm admiring your tulips. Lovely. As for your question, unless you marked the positions of the bulbs you've planted, it's going to be hard to plant the perennials until the bulbs are showing - shouldn't be too long.
If they were mine, I'd put the perennials in a semi shaded area that gets rain, as a temporary nursery and keep them watered. If any are badly pot bound I would repot and then, as the new bulbs come up I'd play with the perennials, trying out various positions until I was happy. Good lick with it. You are making a smashing garden.
mel.b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again with some updates. Damm photobucket...I'll have to go back and re upload all of the photos Sad

2 yrs ago my dad built me this garden bed in the backyard. It had been a little bit of lawn that was a pain to mow and soggy. I filled it with topsoil this year and planted some summer bulbs I got for half price in Homebase earlier in the year. Of those, the peacock lilly has flowered (well, one has so far Laughing ) and the corn lilies which are lovely little flowers. The Calia lily has grown and I think will have flowers next yr. The anemone grew to a small height but only one got a flower on it Sad There's one freesia that is going to flower - no sign of the others and the gladioli don't appear to have grown. So not a great show but I considering I didn't spend much on the bulbs I don't mind.

I have then just finished planting the perenials to fill it up. Some of the ones I picked up at the Clare Garden Festival way back at the end of April were more than a bit neglected Sad so I'll see how they go. I also picked up some more plants over the past few days that I have planted and also about 30 daffodil bulbs. I've still got the tulips to go. There's two clematis and a climbing rose for the wall as well. The hardest thing is going to be stopping the dog from digging in the corners of the garden bed. I've threatened him with rehoming if he does (not really!)

As for the rest of the garden, here are a few updates, sorry for the dodgy photos

This is the new front garden bed that was finished earlier in the year. Everything has really taken off. The Malva is sadly past its best in these photos and the bottlebrush has really grown but the flowers only lasted a week Sad I guess we just don't get enough sunshine for it here.

This is the left side that was the first side finished back in 2014 i think. I gave the grevillia a good prune earlier in the year. I also got a boronia for this side, but it only lasted a week Sad I planted it on the hottest day of the year i think and probably didn't water it enough. Even though they are an Australian native and should be drought tolerant there was something it didn't like about my garden! It was a really pity as it was gorgeous and looked great in the spot I had it. I did have pansies in the border, but they didn't do well - I think they were too small when I planted them and the weather wasn't on their side either. I have more ready to go in and hopefully with the cooler weather they'll do a bit better.

Can anyone tell me the name of the green perennial in the front with the yellow daisy like flowers on it?

And you can see I painted the walls!!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're front looks great Mel!!!!

mel.b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile i'm really delighted with it. Everyday when I see the colour and flowers it makes me happy. All that hard work has paid off Very Happy
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done you! Your garden is really coming together and looking great.

I wouldn't be too disappointed about the bulbs. Some, like the freesia are very temperamental. I have only been able to get them into flower, once, in a pot, very cosseted!

You will learn as you go along what works for you and what's best left for another garden. There are several plants I have tried and failed with (on numerous occasions!)

As for the plant, it's not too clear on my computer, but I think it might be what I know as Tickseed or Coreopsis - another plant I have failed miserably with! Rolling Eyes

mel.b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue and for that ID - I think it is a Thread Leaf Coreopsis -
Coreopsis verticillata. I must try and divide it once it finishes flowering as it's gotten rather big!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: