Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Help with front garden beds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts pruning salvia hotlips
Last post: forest flame
Parsley - Dig It Up Or Keep?
Last post: greengiant
What is this grass like plant
Last post: Bill2015
Anyone growing Marmande or Montecarlo or Delicious tomatoes?
Last post: yaut

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote for someone else in your area about 18 months ago for a lorry-load of top soil. I think if I remember rightly, it was about 260. Price could be different now.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
mel.b
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if removing it is a realistic option. Below is a pic. If I did remove it, I'd also have no where to put it. It seems to only be a couple of cm deep - the second photo is a little hole I dug and you can start to see the soil underneath.

I also went for a day trip today down to Future Forests in Kealkil and spent a small fortune Embarassed

My haul was:
Hedging
Sarcococca Confusa

Shrubs
Euonymus (Cannodale gold)
Nana variegata - weigela
Photinia Little Red Robin
Daboecia Cantabrica Alba
Dwarf Spindle
Ceuonymus Alatus Compactus
Pittosporium Tom Thumb
Daphne Odora
Grevilla Canberra Gem
Langerstroemia Indica Petite Pink
Darwinni Nana Berberis
Sarabande Pieris

Perennials
Geranium Ballarina
Schizostylis Fenland Daybreak
Phlox Paniculate Flame pink
Dahlia Moonfire

My choices out of those were the Daphne & Grevillia and I also wanted a BottleBrush but they didn't have any left. My brother suggested the Langerstroemia and the rest were selected by the lady who helped me. So I'm going to be busy tomorrow!

Now a couple of questions:
1. Weed barrier. I have the weed barrier that was there when the stones were in. Should I re-lay it or leave it off? I'm going to put down bark but it may be another 6 weeks or so before I do that. As the beds have been covered in weed barrier and stones for close to 7yrs there isn't a weed in sight so would I be ok to get away without it?

2. Suggestions for a border / edging plant. I'm planning on having a border plant/flower then bulbs behind it and then the shrubs and perennials. I had originally been thinking of small chrysanthemums but I was looking at them tonight and I think it's going to work out too expensive as I have probably 15m and I didn't realise they don't really spread. So I was looking at Violas and they'd get me through to about March and then something for the summer - maybe Dianthias. Or should I just go straight for the dianthias and have the green border when they are not in flower? I think they will stay - am I right? Or other suggestions?

3. Fertiliser : Once I get my shrubs in, what and how much fertiliser should I give them?

Sorry for the long post! here is also a mini makeover I did in the backyard which was my first attempt at anything...
Before:

After:

Thanks for all the help Very Happy

Last edited by mel.b on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zig e zig ahhhh.
Look back at my first post on this topic. Dig ALL of that crap out. No shortage of bin bags or skips in Corofin. Weeds will grow ANYWHERE so put that barrier back down ASAP. Replace crap with a decent layer of topsoil and a fertiliser. Best of luck. Nice job on the oil tank area.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much suspect that the stuff you are calling 'soil' is subsoil and it probably has a load of crap buried in it, courtesy of the builder.
I agree with Tagwex (see, I do admit you have your good points, Tw). Get rid of the crap and make room for some decent topsoil to give a final depth of at least 200mm, as it will settle a lot over time. Having spent all that money on plants, spend some more, and some effort, to ensure they grow well for you.
Personally, I've gone off planting fabric, except where I've no other choice. I just use mulches (cardboard, newspaper, grass clippings, compost, bark, gravel). But that's my choice.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your oil tank area is VERY impressive. Well done.

I'm personally not in favour of weed membrane: it sours and compacts the soil, not allowing it to breathe properly. The best mulch that I find is leaf mould but you'd have difficulty getting that around the Burren. Can you get some topsoil and just throw it on top of the stones? That'd save some work.

mel.b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd pop back in with some updated photos as I finally got the last of the bark down on the garden today.

Before:

During

During/After - spring with the tulips up but no bark down yet

After:

I'm really happy with the way it has turned out. I've only lost one plant - a daphne odora Sad They are my favourite shrub so I will buy another one and give it another shot and if that doesn't survive then I'll have to choose something else. Well, technically I lost another one but that was my fault as I thought it was dead but turns out it was just a deciduous shrub - whoops! Everything else is flowering and growing and I'm hoping that my daffodils and tulips will come up again next year (and the year after and the year after...).

I still have the other garden bed to do. The picture of that is in one of the posts above. I have since scraped it of all that rubble and had the hydrangea and fusica removed. It is waiting for top soil now. I was hoping to get that bed done this summer, but funds and other priorites means it will be next summer now Sad

Last edited by mel.b on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference! Well done, mel. I'm really looking forward to watching your next project take shape. You will only go from strength to strength.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is back again. Zig e zig ahhhh!
Great to see someone come back and show us the results of their work, as I said in an earlier post. You missed out on plenty in your year away, rows and fights and moderator warnings!!! It aint dull on here you know!!! Plenty of crap and rubble was dug up I see. Looking good Mel, looking good. Stage 2 awaits you.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Mel. B. you've certainly "spiced" up your garden. Lovely.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider painting the walls a Wimbledon green or maybe one the forty shades that we have here?

emerald32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Mel B it all looks fantastic Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellooooo

mel.b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments Smile

Tagwex, i hadn't thought of painting the walls, i guess because one day (!) the hedge will have grown. However that's not going to be for a long time. Would the green look odd next to the cobblelock that is on the front fence?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the unrendered walls but it is up to you what you do, and it doesn't have to be green. Somebody, the name escapes me, did similar project to yours last year and he painted his with a masonry paint, it looked well. The post is here somewhere.

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. In the same section as this, called Planning a perrenial garden, started by nozebleed. Have a browse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: