Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

My potatoes, i need you

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: My potatoes, i need you Reply with quote

Sowing the spuds tomorrow AT LAST. Went to the shed where I have been storing the seed this evening. They were kept in the dark in a box and in hessian sacks in a cool environment. A potato sower is coming tomorrow, basically I will be dropping them down a pipe walking behind the tractor. Question is, a lot of them have long (up to 200mm) white stalks on them which I am told will not sow properly as they will be dragged along the ground. We spent the evening dividing the seed up (exciting entertainment for Wexford) into those with little or no stalks to be sown by the sower and those that have stalks to be sown by hand. In the interest of getting them in quicker with the machine and having the job finished tomorrow would it be any harm if I broke the stalks off or will that knock them back? Need an answer quick on this one from anyone really.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: spuds Reply with quote

knock the 200mm off. matter of fact if they have a stalk that long I would discard them all together. I would"nt take a chance on a soft spongy seed like that over a whole growing season for the sake of a 20euro bag of certified seed. (Your call)
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My potatoes, i need you Reply with quote

Sorry, the good weather has had me offline. Tired now, and indoors again.

tagwex wrote:
Sowing the spuds tomorrow AT LAST.

I wouldn't panic about being late. The ash trees around me are only coming to leaf so there's plenty of time yet. In fact, I was listening to Waterford radio last weekend and a professional grower said the best potatoes are sown on May 20th.
tagwex wrote:
Question is, a lot of them have long (up to 200mm) white stalks on them which I am told will not sow properly as they will be dragged along the ground.

I planted potatoes with white stalks once before. The plants themselves did alright, but when it came to digging them up, there were zero tubers. None whatsoever. I had put in a lot of effort rising to them, spraying them, weeding them, etc. I'd assumed because the haulms where healthy that tubers had formed underground; alas no.
If I was a gambling man (and I am), I would not plant such potatoes. The risk vs reward graph is too flat.
I would buy new seed potatoes.
tagwex wrote:
We spent the evening dividing the seed up (exciting entertainment for Wexford) into those with little or no stalks...

These should be ok.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks my potatoes. I should have posted earlier, actually no, I should have checked out my seed earlier. We had 90 to 100kg of seed (10 varieties), all sown now just in time to see my beloved Arsenal in the FA Cup yesterday. We took the stalks off in the end otherwise they just wouldn't have gone down the sowing tubes. Took an executive decision just to get them into the ground when I had the help and the machinery here otherwise I would have had to plant approx. 30 kg of seed by hand today and it is due to lash down here in an hour or so. My back aches today.

Ash trees coming into leaf here now too, everytime I looked at them and the empty plot I thought of your saying, wishing them not to be in leaf. There are people who are digging up their earlies around here and mine have only just gone in. I may call them late earlies!

No tubers? That would be a disaster of biblical proportions. Well I can only hope now at this stage. I can only assume that new stalks will grow, we left the little buds on and only removed the long stalks.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: