Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Landscaping a raised percolation area

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jcorbett
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Landscaping a raised percolation area Reply with quote

For environmental reasons I've had a raised percolation area installed in my back garden that now presents a real landscape challenge. Its about 10m x 6m in area and over a metre high. I'm looking for idea's on how best to make this mound a more acceptable feature in the garden. I need to plant some trees or hedging to the rear of the garden now to avoid overlooking neighbours gardens when standing on the mound. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand how can you have a raised percolation area water flows downhill not up, maybe im missing something or it too early in the day for me can you give more info.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos or a sketch would help.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of raised percolation areas around the country greengage, most of which will fail the sewage tests shortly. Two types gravity or pumped - The filtering pipes are either under the natural ground or sitting on top of it and the waste is pumped up to them depending on test results. The pipes are laid almost level, 1:200. They are used in areas that fail the percolation tests and imported soil/gravel is brought in to act as a filter bed instead of the natural soil. They are built up in layers to facilitate filtration at an allowable rate into the poor surrounding soil or collected into a pipe and discharged to a watercourse.

RAISED PERCOLATION AREA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.09 KB
 Viewed:  5773 Time(s)

RAISED PERCOLATION AREA.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How deep is the soil over the protective fabric? Ornamental grasses might disguise the mound well, without any danger of their roots interfering with the percolation system.
Does the mound need to be flat on top? It could be made into a more naturalistic 'hill' shape, if that wouldn't interfere with its function.
If you are in a rural location, select hedge species that grow wild, locally.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you live and learn, If you just want one plant i would use Cotoneaster, or bergenia I would go for a mix of low ground cover Geranium, Borage, Myrtle, Rosemary, Mahonia
Winter Aconite
Crocus
Daffodil
Genista Dicentra Pulmonaria (Lungwort) Gorse (Ulex)
Rosemary (Rosemarinus)
Flowering Currant (Ribes)
Primrose (Primula vulgaris)
Bluebell (Choose native varieties)
Cowslip (Choose native varieties)
Snakeshead (Fritillaria meleagris)
Winter Honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima,
Barberry (Berberis) (Lamium)
Bugle (Ajuga)
Ground Ivy
Snowdrops (Galanthes) single flowered varieties
Winter Heathers (Erica carnea)
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought that I would teach you anything greengage as you are the wise one here, you answer questions rather than ask them. But silver surfer has you flummoxed on occasions!!!

Greengage

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody knows everything, I just dont know what to ask, As for silver surfer there is no competition when it comes to plant ID she is way ahead of the Poosee. Good fun on here though.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask about what you don't know about! Simples. I've been getting away with it for years.

jcorbett

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Raised Percolation Mound Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. The percolation area was installed according to EPA Code of Practice 2009 so hopefully it meets with the most up-to-date requirements. The mound is flat topped but the sides are at a 45 degree angle and therefore it will be awkward to access with a lawnmower if I plant in grass. I'm thinking of building a dry stone wall to the front and back filling with more soil and perhaps planting some rock plants in the wall to create a more visually pleasing effect when viewed from the house. If I include steps in the centre of the wall to access the top of the mound then perhaps I could build a patio area on top and some raised beds for planting. I want to end up with relatively low maintenance on this mound and I'm hoping that I get some tips on the type of plants to use that will not require a lot of cutting back in the future. Finally, I do need to introduce some form of screening at the back of the mound to facilitate the neighbour not being over-looked. Suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Joe
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chamomile and thyme lawn???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: