Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Garlic already yellowing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Patio table. Tagwex
Last post: tagwex
Hodgy The Hedgehog
Last post: tagwex
Auto sign-in, query for James
Last post: Good guy
Parsley - Dig It Up Or Keep?
Last post: greengiant

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sneachta
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Garlic already yellowing Reply with quote

With the very mild winter my garlic has been flying.
The stalks though are already starting to yellow which seems far to early.

Its late at night now (I'm a shift worker) so too late to take a picture unfortunately

Is it possibly nutrition related? The stalks are long and dont seem to be diseased in any way, if it was July I'd be digging them up, I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a picture of the garlic. Some of them are pretty huge as I have elephant garlic I got in lidl mixed in there.

garlic.jpg
 Description:
Yellowing garlic in May
 Filesize:  242.36 KB
 Viewed:  10108 Time(s)

garlic.jpg

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see the lower leaves yellowing, which is normal. I don't think there's a serious problem. Given the proximity to the hedge and the other plants, I'd be worried about water. My advice would be to feed them once with blood/fish/bone, or something like growmore, and to water every day that it doesn't rain.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tippben, sounds like good advice, will certainly give that a go.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a close up? When I first glanced at the image rust came to mind? Do I also see some some scrapes?
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
Can you get a close up? When I first glanced at the image rust came to mind? Do I also see some some scrapes?

You did indeed see scrapes, I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it!

I just googled garlic rust and I dont think its that, there isn't any spotty bits. I reckon it may be malnutrition/watering so will give them a good feed tomorrow after todays rain is finished.

scrape.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  418.51 KB
 Viewed:  10071 Time(s)

scrape.jpg

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be the conduit of bad news, but I'd give up on any garlic that have bolted this early in the season.
As for the yellowing, it's minor enough and nothing to worry about.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
Sorry to be the conduit of bad news, but I'd give up on any garlic that have bolted this early in the season.
As for the yellowing, it's minor enough and nothing to worry about.

The ones that have bolted are three of the elephant garlics, those plants are huge compared to the regular garlic. Is the prognosis the same for them ? See the size of the smaller ones beside the one in the picture above, the elephant ones are about 1.5 times the size of the regular garlic stalks.
robbie checker
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Garlic with scrapes Reply with quote

I planted some garlic in the autumn, 1 batch of elephant garlic and 2 batches of normal garlic. I noticed at the weekend that the elephant garlic has scrapes. I thought like the previous poster that it had gone to seed but after googling it on the web, this appears to be quite normal with garlic and the question arises of whether to leave the scrape or cut them off as some people reckon it takes from the size of the bulb. There are a lot of mentions on the web of being able to cook the scrape as it is a bit of a delicacy. I have only sowed garlic for the last 2 years. First year, they got overshadowed by potatoes, I didn't dig them out and they grew again. Year 2, I moved them to a different spot in the spring but they didn't recover so ended up with a load of small bulbs. I was hoping for a better crop this year as I sowed them in the autumn and they have plenty of room. Anyone else have any input on garlic scrapes. I don't want to be pulling them up if this is normal and this applies to the original poster too.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On scapes. I always cut them off as and when I get them. I don't see the point in wasting the plant. Some bulbs do end up smaller, but these are the cloves I use for putting whole, skin and all, in roasted dishes or tarys of potato wedges etc. I have tried cooking scapes, but they are so woody that I only use them for stock. It has just occurred to me that they could be used as skewers for grilled/bbq'd food, in a similar way to rosemary, as they wouldn't burn.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapes in May, though? Bulbs of garlic, onions, etc. don't begin to swell properly 'til the end of June (triggered by shortening daylight). I've only ever seen scrapes develop after this significant point in plant development. If you spot then quickly you can get in there and cut them out. But scrapes in May?
When I cook with garlic I always cut out any greenery in the clove, as it tends to be bitter. I'm just reluctant to even bother if a full scrape has formed. But that's just me. In fact, the only allium I'm growing this season is red onions.
Sneachta

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father (who lives nearby) harvested his garlic last year in June and that was after a pretty miserable spring. This year has been so mild I'm hoping its just early development, might have a poke around one of them tomorrow if the rain stops to see if there is already a bulb forming.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grown garlic with great results for the past 3 years.this year however i have the same problem.a lot have scapes already and i have used these previously in stir fries and found them tasty.also there is a lot of rust which i am thinking is because i have them in a different part of the garden that isnt as sunny and not as free draining.i lifted a few and they are small but look fine.i think i should lift the rest during the week unless anyone has an alternative idea.thanks in advance
Dirt Digger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Garlic not only scaped very early but was also walloped with rust this year, as indeed was a lot of the other plot holders' garlic... I lifted mine last week, and though not brilliant I have some for use. It seems garlic which has rusted wont store too long at all, but, it is still edible, so we'll use what we can while the stock holds...
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garlic usually gets a touch of rust and I never worry about it but this year it is very bad, I lifted a bulb just to see and it looks fine, well swelled.

The elephant garlic has no rust at all, I got it from Irish seed savers a couple of years ago and am bulking up my stock, this year I should have plenty to eat and keep for sowing. I find it is great, I think I read it is actually a variety of leek. The leeks, some of which I keep to their second year for seed, also has rust but not so much as the regular garlic..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: