Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Do Dreams/Fantasies come true...I think so...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, that's half the fun! Very Happy Not found one yet, but some interesting stories non the less.

When I worked in the Potteries we had some very old books of patterns and heraldry. We once looked up our names and their histories. My colleagues had some very unusual names between them - they all had entries in the books - me - nothing. That means 1. I'm from real peasant stock or 2, more likely, I come from a long line of spelling mistakes! Laughing

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:

The reference to "Group D"has me scratching the head...no doubt it's a simple query...

HGV, PSV licence, I presume. Was "D", now "C".

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus & Coach licences are Group D (+E if with trailer entitlement). Trucks are Group C rigid or C+E artic. Strangely, after being passed to drive buses in 1968, and not having done anything since to get it taken away, some moron in Brussels now says I need a CPC to continue.

Yes, G, much UK experience and 160+ trips to mainland Europe.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the driving license as we know it come into being? My dad drove a lorry in the war and coaches and busses after. He obviously had a license and got several safe driving awards, but he said he didn't remember actually passing a test!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K&B...not the sort of question I would usually ask hence catching me off Foot...yes I have a Full License to drive everything except Motor Bikes...

B...C...D...E+...M...W................and all in between...

M...W..........I have no need for but the powers that be gave them to me...

I did several Continental runs but was never comfortable driving on the wrong side so gave it up and concentrated on Home / GB runs instead...since moving to Sligo more and more runs for Deliveries both Local / National were being offered to me...once they hear you have a License you will never be short of offers... following a few Health Hiccups I eventually left the Deliveries and went P/T Coach Driving for Fureys...I drove for DMC in Dublin {Dublin Mini Coaches originally Dorgans}...I still get offers from DMC for Tours but circumstances saw me having to fully retire about 2 yrs ago but I still keep in touch with both Boss'es...Family run and both great to work for...guess I was lucky...I'd love to be starting all over again...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
When did the driving license as we know it come into being? My dad drove a lorry in the war and coaches and busses after. He obviously had a license and got several safe driving awards, but he said he didn't remember actually passing a test!

I got my 1st License over 55 yrs ago when details were entered using a Biro... in 1992 the License was Automated Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation {According to my one} so I'm not sure if that answers your Query...England / Nth Ireland I've no doubt would be different...

Prior to 1963 {if my Memory is correct} a Driving Test was not required provided you had the License to Drive Rolling Eyes ......go figure that one out...
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first driving test was in March 1964. Prior to that you just applied for one with whatever class of vehicles that you wanted to drive.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
The first driving test was in March 1964. Prior to that you just applied for one with whatever class of vehicles that you wanted to drive.

The 1st time ya ever backed me up on something... Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my statement so. Then we can get back to where we left off!!!! And in your case it was a quill not a biro.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I retract my statement so. Then we can get back to where we left off!!!! And in your case it was a quill not a biro.
If that's true then my dad's first license must have been carved in stone.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
some moron in Brussels now says I need a CPC to continue.

I had a run-in with the RSA {Road Safety Authority} over that same "Money making" CPC racket...after my 2nd Hip Operation on the same Hip I was off the Coaches for nearly 16 Mths...when I felt I was fit enough to return I inquired from the RSA if there were any requirements needed before getting back behind the Wheel...I was told I'd have to play catch-up as I'd missed 2 CPC courses and would have to sit them 1st...{at 50 a go}

I tried explaining that I was not available to drive at the time...{cutting out the rest of the conversation} the Woman basically said "They are the rules...take it or leave it no exceptions".................I ended up telling her what I thought of the RSA and it's "Money making Racket" and hung up............it's even worse when you've to sit through 8 hrs listening to a young Lad telling you what to eat and what exercise to take...and me 3 times his age {he wasn't even a dirty thought in his Fathers mind when I started Driving and he's telling us what to do}...

During one course the Lad was explaining the Mechanics of the Engine and after going into great detail put a question to me about repairing a fault....."What would you do in a situation like that Dave"......".call Fureys sez I... that's their problem ,if I wanted to be a Mechanic I wouldn't be sitting here having to listening to this"......the Lad actually apologized and explained that he had to do as he was Instructed but fully understood the frustration and annoyance we all felt ....

That's my rant over......and no,I don't feel any better...
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through something similar when I got made redundant from the ceramic industry. There were just no jobs in my field (the industry was on the verge of collapse) and I was told I HAD to attend a business course to 'help me back to work'

I was sent to the 'Executive' Job Club where, with other talented, experienced, well-educated folks, someone barely out of their teens told us how to write a letter and what to wear for an interview. We had to attend lectures on IT and modern economics - where a lad fresh out of Uni. told us how well the economy was doing and how much unemployment had fallen. It was too much for one ex manager. He said, 'if the economy is doing so well and unemployment is falling what the fxxxxxg hxxl are WE doing here listening to this tripe?!'

The only good thing about the whole experience was it is where I met my OH, 26 years in industry and now on the scrapheap, (or so he thought Wink )

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a response to that but instead decided to Meditate to slow down the Ticker and Blood Pressure...

Aw um'....Aw um'....Aw um'.........{Chant form}

Jackie Gleeson in "Smokie and the Bandit" whenever he felt himself getting angry
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, if your Dad drove in the UK, I believe separate 'PSV' licences with the red and white lapel badges (mine was KK48848) came in in 1931. There were no 'HGV' equivalents until much more recently so oil companies etc. would specify 'PSV holders preferred' when advertising for tanker drivers.

I, too, was faced with sitting through a stupid CPC in Bantry @ 55 per session in my case, but I told the organiser it wasn't for me at lunchtime and got my money back. I then sent the RSA a detailed email of observations on how compliance is either impossible or undesirable for passengers, but of course they ignored me. Big Brother at the EU is no doubt responsible, so the test I passed on 13 August 1968 is now worthless EXCEPT that, to drive a vehicle with a top speed of less that 45kph, the CPC is waived so I drove the tourist road train in Clonakilty for eight summers. Interestingly, many of the old 40s/50s double deckers wouldn't do much more than 30mph so might qualify if the pumps were tweaked a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: