Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Hard work done, time for planting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71
Garlic stalks for the compost heap
Last post: newspade

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Slave77
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Found the Claremorris cryptheria bug yet?

Do you mean crypteria as in crane fly as in daddy long legs as in leather jackets?
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, fellow Raised-Bedders. My reasons for raised beds:
-I'm on a north facing slope, so the garden is slow to warm up. It is easier to build level, horizontal beds which will heat up quicker than to terrace a whole plot.
-I prefer to dig as little as possible (no longer feel need to knock myself out/advancing years) and they say it's better for the soil.
-I prefer to bend as little as possible!
-higher planting densities are possible
-less bother with slugs, dogs etc.
My beds are mostly about two metres long. I know this is quite short but it suits my plot.
Slave77

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Good guy, and wonderful that you have found the ideal solution to suit your needs, aspect, climate and your back Wink
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"auld plaumausing", you women have ways of wrapping any man tight around ye're little fingers, dark and devious ways, ways so suttle that we eejits don't even see it coming and by then it is too late. Or is that just me? My daughter was doing it to me expertly at two and still is 22 years later, but then again she is daddys girl. That plot is yours, it's only a matter of time.

Blowin, you are in the bullseye, I am in the insignificant No. 1 sector.

Crane flies, they are not bugs......... THIS IS A PROPER BUG. Found a colony of them around the compost bins, hand reared a few and found that they love carrots, lovely little guy really and the swellings from the bites are not that painful. If you look closely 'Made in Claremorris' is stamped on their back. So I would watch out if I were you.

A PROPER BUG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.41 KB
 Viewed:  13208 Time(s)

A PROPER BUG.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
baabamaal

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is that thing?!?
A grasshopper? More like a grassflattener methinks
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find slave 77's house in Claremorris you can collect them there. I sent the whole lot of them there by courier this morning. Haven't a carrot left in the place.

baabamaal

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the half acre to the east of you with the ranch type fencing around it, I think I see the start of a few polytunnels in there?

Slave77

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah holey moley tagwex am here shuddering with the heebeejeebees the beady eyes on that, why didn't you train the Effin things to eat couch grass and keep them for yourself, apparently you have enough to feed an army of them, you could make mini ploughs for them while you're at it, they'd prob plant your spuds too Laughing
Slave77

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more posts would be nice on this, so I can jump straight to page 3 and not have to look at beady eyes above!

Yes tagwex that is the elusive half acre, it came up in conversation last night, got asked how big and how much for a tunnel, I didn't have the answer, too slow, i hope I didn't miss the boat, going to do some research later and print it and leave it casually lying around by the tv remote this evening Laughing

That ranch style fencing we did the 2 of us 7 years ago in October with a mini digger and a cement mixer.... It brought a whole new meaning to mud wrestling, I still laugh when I think back at what the 2 eejits must have looked like covered in sticky wet clay, sliding around, gosh we worked hard! Still the fence is still upright (for the most part) and it keeps the woollies where they belong. I also used the mini digger to clear the boundaries of brambles and such like, gave myself a DIY lesson in rebuilding stone walls, it was great fun Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two options here, either I keep reposting the picture of Bobby the Bug on every page or I call on all forumites to start a mauritorium on this subject so it stays on page two. Either way that courier should be with you soon.

Nooooooo, you don't leave the polytunnel info near the zapper, put it beside a good steak dinner and a six pack of chilled Guinness, have you any idea how to change a mans mind?

Jump to the section Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). on this forum where you will see a thread called polytunnels ireland. In there is a link i put in called over the garden gate, go to garden at the top of the home page and find Alans polytunnel. It is a diy job but effective. Alternatively, look at http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Projects/polytunnel/polytunnel.htm . This is the one I have decided to do, albeit with a few variations. The beauty of these two is that apart from the plastic sheeting, you should be able to pick up the most of it from building sites - I did.

A woman of many talents it would seem, so getting the title deeds of the half acre should be no problem i'd say!!!

Slave77

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well the bugs never arrived, hope they didn't mistake the driver for a carrot.... Surprised
I really like the aluminium frame tunnels....... Trouble is I either want a much larger one next time, or two reasonable sized ones. I have plans
Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I redirected the courier to baabamaals instead. Found a nest of young ones here that I missed the other day. You should have the cute little guys tomorrow. Only feed them baby carrots.
The beauty of the DIY polytunnel is that the only limit on tunnel width is the width of the sheeting. Plus by having vertical sides by using the scaffold tubes and plastic piping you gain more usable space and headroom. Aluminium = hot spots, not so with plastic. Also, if you can get hold of the gas/water piping for free you will have the structure for nothing, just buy the sheeting.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Tagwex, did the bugs eat your camera?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well slave you thought you had couch grass. This is what we had last year up to my chest, docks, couch, nettles and brambles, the ponies were let in on the part that has been reclaimed this year and that photo was taken maybe two weeks after they went in.

20130809_190601.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  354.23 KB
 Viewed:  12986 Time(s)

20130809_190601.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: