Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Retraining an old Sugi tree

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Veg in Modules
Last post: Good guy
Artificial lawn
Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Virtus
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Retraining an old Sugi tree Reply with quote

Hi there,
I recently had a tree in our garden identified as a Sugi tree (Cryptomeria japonica ' Elegans') by Greengage and Silver Surfer here on the forums. It is quite an old tree and was planted by relatives of ours many years ago before we ever lived here. The problem is my family thinks it is an eyesore and wants rid of it but I can't bring myself to chop it down because of the history and the fact that it is such an interesting tree.

It is made up of multiple stems which have started to collapse outwards under their own weight as it hasn't been maintained properly for a long time. I have tried to cut it back a bit and reshape it over the last couple of years. The interior of the tree is completely bare and the stems are quite gnarled and craggy. This is partially visible from the roadside as it is growing out over a wall. It doesn't look great to be honest.

I was thinking would it be possible to tie the branches together and try give the tree a bit more shape? The tree is about 40-50 years old I think or more so it might be gone beyond that stage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note that it used to be nearly twice as tall but I gave it a bit of a haircut a couple of years ago.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is too big a tree for a small garden and should have been pruned to retain its shape when it was younger, but and i take no responsibility for this if you do the same, I butchered one once for a client because they wanted it cut back really hard and I refused to remove the stump guess what it regrew. so if your brave try it but if it doesn't regrow dont blame me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: