Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Does anyone know what this is?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Virtus
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know what this is? Reply with quote

Hello there,
We have a shrub in our front garden that no one seems to be able to identify. From what I know it is evergreen with spiny leaves and multiple stems, and seems to produce small cones. I know that it is quite old, maybe around 50 years or older and it is supposed to be a dwarf plant, or at least much smaller than what it is now, according to a cousin. Unfortunately it hasn't been maintained very well in recent years. It used to be much larger but I cut it back a bit a couple of years ago.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I can upload more photos if anyone wants.

Thanks
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptomeria japonica ' Elegans'
Virtus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have just been reading up about it on wikipedia. Are you sure that is what it is? Would it be a very unusual tree for Ireland?

I remember being told it was a rare type of tree when I was young.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything that you don't know Greengage?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Cryptomeria japonica ' Elegans'

Agree with Greengage.
see...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cryptomeria+japonica+elegans&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=A-9SU5LGI4fOOKfogNAK&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=eXjEJ5nIzKLpNM%253A%3BfDEAmV6-LNYPwM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.climatechange.boun.edu.tr%252Fresimler%252Fneslihan%252F9-Cryptomeria_japonica_'Elegans'.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.climatechange.boun.edu.tr%252Fneslihan.html%3B1000%3B750

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/crjae5.htm

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/crjae6.htm
Virtus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million, Greengage and Silver surfer. Couldn't make head nor tail of it myself. I was thinking either some type of yew or juniper..
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be neither unusual or rare but there is a very unusual variety in Fota called
Cryptomeria japonica 'Spiralis'. very tall, the foliage of your one should in winter should turn a vivid purple or bronze colour.It is too big a tree for a small garden, common name is Japanese cedar.
RE: Tagwex there is so much i dont know, but im curious about everything, as my work colleagues say we dont know everything but we have an opinion on everything.
Thrilled I beat silversurfer to the punch yes.. He/she is best plant identifier on this site. never wrong. Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh but you do come across as the fountain of all knowledge. And. I did note that you beat silver surfer, I knew that it would be down to you two to come up with an answer. Maybe we could handicap SS by asking verge to change the time zones for those responding in South Wales to give you an extra hour or two! Opinions are good.
PS. Does Verge ever sleep? There never seems to be any other moderator and he/she appears to be on 24/7.

Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I did note that you beat silver surfer, I knew that it would be down to you two to come up with an answer. Maybe we could handicap SS by asking verge to change the time zones for those responding in South Wales to give you an extra hour or two! Opinions are good.

Thank you for reminding me to update my address!

Moved last summer from a huge 4.5 acre, high maintenance plantaholics garden, stuffed with many common and many very rare treasures in South Wales
Many plants that I id are ones we used to grow...inc Cryptomeria japonica Elegans.
It was a full time job for 2 of us, but was getting too much work to keep immaculate, as we were getting older. (No spare cash to employ a full time gardener that we desperately needed)

Now we are in Bonnie Scotland.
We can now relax and enjoy ourselves. ..get out walking, watch the wild life, visit the beautiful gardens up here...without feeling guilty that we are not collecting fallen twigs, weeding, ,weeding, weeding, pruning, cutting the grass etc etc.

Only sad part is the couple who bought our old home in South Wales are similar age to us, both still work.
They know nothing about plants .Only went round garden once in February. Have no concept of the plants we had in the garden
Bought it for the 1,000sq ft of storage space,/garage under the bungalow.
Sadly you cannot chose who you sell to after18 months of trying to sell and one sale falling through (as the chap took a job over seas.)

Hence our move far far away...so we never see what happens to our 35 years labours turning a wilderness into a hidden Welsh treasure of a garden.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get around, I think that I would like to settle in an area and stay there, I wouldn't like change especially at your age. Did you manage to salvage any of your prize plants to bring with you? Handicap rules still apply though, it is because of you 'Scots' that we have the changing of the hour here, never agreed with it.

Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would break my heart, enjoy Scotland, keep posting here hope to beat you to some IDs in the future,I have my own little patch here where I collect unusual bits and pieces and I help look after 50 acres so get lots of fun out of that, looks like we will be going for a revamp in the walled garden in the near future so that should be fun as I have a new boss, and will have access to bigger collections both trees and shrubs and perennials plus my own little projects of developing a bit of biodiversity in native woodland, sure life couldn't be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: