Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

Swallows

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Free Carbons
Last post: Sue Deacon
Heritage Bill.
weeping willow tree
i THOUGHT A GHOST HAD TURNED UP

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
The Fly
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Swallows Reply with quote

First swallows seen in Littleton,Tipperary was on 15/04/2014.
Loads of them.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have come in on a package deal. Same here in Claremorris
Sive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw our first swallows on Sunday, 13th April here in North Wexford.....just three or four of them.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few of them here too Sive last Sunday morning about 20 miles south of you. Which of us had them first?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry lads beat yea to it have them here two weeks now,
If your interested you should submit them to http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/biodiversity-data/submit-record/
Birds, butterflies, bumblebees wildflowers etc check out their facebook page also wild ireland and wildflowers ireland lots of info there.look out for me there too Laughing
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tagwex, we first saw the swallows about 12.30...just before lunchtime, so it sounds like you saw yours first......
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember mentioning at breakfast, presume they flew up to you then!

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just back from a weekend in carna in connemara. loads of them out that way.
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted one in the workshop yesterday evening, presume it's the same one from last year. Never did take the nest down, must do it tomorrow. Well she ain't staying there this year, get her out and seal that gap over the door. Not putting up with all that poop again over my tools and she tossed the chicks out of the nest last year, I stood on one unknowingly.

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen one in the shed, returning to an old nest :) Puckane, Co. Tipp.
baabamaal
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Spotted one in the workshop yesterday evening, presume it's the same one from last year. Never did take the nest down, must do it tomorrow. Well she ain't staying there this year, get her out and seal that gap over the door. Not putting up with all that poop again over my tools and she tossed the chicks out of the nest last year, I stood on one unknowingly.

Disappointed to hear this tbh- I have a similar workshop/shed and I just put up a large piece of cardboard beneath the nest and it catches 90%+ of the poop. Any chicks removed from the nest by the parents were most likely dead or dying and this is not a typical event. From your previous posts you seem to have a good handle on incorporating "the environment" into your home setting- a bit of tolerance for these native birds would be great. Swallows fly enormous distances to get here (from southern Africa) and, although they're not endangered, they are losing suitable breeding sites because so many old buildings are being knocked and so many new buildings are closed up. Go on, give em a chance!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i do feel a bit guilty about it alright but there is any amount of places for them to nest here just NOT in the workshop. They can build their nests on the house or any of the four outhouses, I haven't done anything yet in regard to evicting them and saw them only an hour ago. Do they reuse last years nest or build new? No sign of any construction work yet. They threw all the chicks out at the same time and some were alive on the floor, I put them back in the nest but they ended up on the floor again so I let nature take it's course. By way of balance I have put up 6 nesting boxes this year, and yes, I know the swallows wont use them.

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, swallows reuse the same nest, or rebuild in the same site. The chicks also return to the place they were born in. An established swallow colony is living history.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of them in the workshop this evening. They will get a days reprieve as I am golfing tomorrow but come Sunday that gap over the door will be sealed. Hope they haven't started nest building yet as it will be a waste of time.

baabamaal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Well i do feel a bit guilty about it alright but there is any amount of places for them to nest here just NOT in the workshop. They can build their nests on the house or any of the four outhouses, I haven't done anything yet in regard to evicting them and saw them only an hour ago. Do they reuse last years nest or build new? No sign of any construction work yet. They threw all the chicks out at the same time and some were alive on the floor, I put them back in the nest but they ended up on the floor again so I let nature take it's course. By way of balance I have put up 6 nesting boxes this year, and yes, I know the swallows wont use them.

Swallows only nest inside buildings (house martins are the ones that build nests externally under eaves etc). Tippben was right in them reusing old nests, usually they fix them up a bit every year. You probably had inexperienced parents last year judging by the poor parenting skills. If you have to do it fair enough, but if the outhouses are sealed up they won't be able to use them, so even if you leave a door propped open (permanently over the summer) they could well shift to it.
I put letterbox shaped holes in my metal shed specifically to allow swallows in- the holes are 30 cmx20cm although I have seen swallows use smaller entrances than this. We've got swallows every year in the three years since I did this.
I saw your post on the nestboxes you made so I appreciate you aren't anti-wildlife. To me the relatively small bit of poop is worth it to see these beautiful creatures at close quarters and remember- they eat an awful lot of midges and other annoying flying insects!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: