Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

I want to plant ilex hedge

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
member11809

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: I want to plant ilex hedge Reply with quote

I want to plant ilex http://www.readyhedge.ie/products.php?start=9 inside a fence. I thought ilex was slow growing but the link above says fast?

I want to plant a five foot hedge inside a four foot fence. There is partial sun. I guess about 18 ins apart.The ground is a bit wet not too bad i have an ilex doing realy good at back of house same type ground

Part of where i want it is cement. Will it grow in a container long term? Would that entail cutting back roots and new compost?

Any advice or am i missing anything?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it won't grow (well) in a container long term. Your best bet is to try to get rid of the cement.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When planting any hedge, remember: this is a long term investment of time, effort and money.
Your hedge will, hopefully, reward your efforts with years of healthy growth, look great, provide a valuable habitat for loads of critters........
Buy you will place it under stress by cutting it from time to time and it will be growing in the same soil for a long time.
So it is vital that you provide it with the best growing conditions you can - good drainage and lots of organic matter incorporated into the soil, for long-term nutrients and for moisture retention. And no competition from grasses or weeds!
Definitely no containers!
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: I want to plant ilex hedge Reply with quote

member11809 wrote:
I want to plant ilex http://www.readyhedge.ie/products.php?start=9 inside a fence. I thought ilex was slow growing but the link above says fast?

My experience has been that it's a slow grower.

member11809 wrote:
Will it grow in a container long term?

No, not long term. Will survive for a few years but you'll need to plant it out long term.

member11809 wrote:
Would that entail cutting back roots and new compost.

'Fraid not; not a solution.

member11809 wrote:
Any advice or am i missing anything?

From http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about204.html:
Ilex aquifolium (holly) spaced at 45cm (1.5 ft) creates an evergreen hedge 6 to 8ft tall at a slow growth rate.
A hedge with decorative fruit, and the thorns make it a good security hedge.
However, ensure you plant a majority of female plants for berry displays, approx mix 1 male to 10 females, lucky lad. Very Happy
A hedge that also copes with shade.
Looks right at home in rural areas.
Will tolerate most soils.
A slow starter which has a better success rate if planted as containerised or root-balled specimens.
Native to Ireland, plant a piece of our natural history.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that site claims a growth rate of two foot a year - which is quite a claim for holly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: