Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Too late to plant first early potatoes?

Most Recent Posts Engineer needed
Last post: Blowin
The 10 species most endangered by climate change.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Gardens worth a visit.
Last post: Sue Deacon
The Grantham Oak
Last post: Blowin

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rowdy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Too late to plant first early potatoes? Reply with quote

Hi All, my first post Very Happy I have a few first early orla seeds left over & wondering if it's now too late to plant them? Hoping to get my 5 year old nephew interested in growing veg so was going to get him to help me plant them in grow bags on patio in his home. I also have some main crop setenta seed to spare so would I be better using them? I'm new to this myself so pardon me if I ask dumb questions or make dumb assumptions Embarassed Was thinking the earlies would be best as we could harvest them sooner which would be better to keep the young lad interested. Also have no manure so can anyone recommend a good substitute?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30" sq?????
Just about enough for one of those seed potatoes!!!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Rowdy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers - very helpful Rolling Eyes
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the earlies for the bags, four to a bag. Put 10cm of compost in the bag, then the chitted tubers, then another 10cm of compost. Keep earthing them up as they grow, and don't let them dry out. You could plant some maincrops in the soil, but they'll take up 2-3' for a row, so up to you. It's not too late. The worst that can happen is that you get slightly smaller potatoes.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy Rowdy. it was a tongue in cheek comment, a rhetorical question. I presume you meant to say 30 sq ', i.e. 30 square feet or 6 feet by 5 feet. 30 sq " is about the size on an A5 piece of paper, just about enough for 1 seed as stated. But you could also have meant 30 sq. yards. If you need advice it is best to be as accurate as you can with your own situation, lots of people come on here and don't give enough information at all, such as where they live, on a hill, down in a frost hollow, their aspect, soil type, inland or by the coast and yes even the size of the plot etc. etc. it is all relevant information to give a good answer.

To answer your question, plant away it's not too late at all. Put them in now and in 14 to 15 weeks you and your nephew will have your spuds. I planted in June last year so carry on. Well done on nurturing the young lad, hopefully it will stay with him. Do as Tippben said and you will be fine.

I was in a garden center the other day and there was a seed section devoted to quick turnaround crops, some as little as a week (salad stuff) and up to 8 weeks - turnips and one variety of tomatoes I think. In order to keep the young lads interest you might be better with some of these 'instant' results rather than making him wait for over three months unless he is the patient sort!

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy answer plant away you will have spuds in 8 weeks they cannot tell the time or what month it is.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the frost last week, it's definitely not too late to plant your seed potatoes.
Earlies mature faster and will give you a crop in about 12 weeks. Main crop take longer, 20+ weeks. Otherwise there is no great difference. There is a "thing" of planing earlies in March, second earlies in April and maincrop in May. I don't know where this comes for or why. Earlies will take 12 weeks (generally speaking) regardless of them being planted in March/April/May/June. Maincrop will take 20 weeks (generally speaking) regardless of them being planted in March/April/May/June.
There is a handy rule of thumb, though. If you can see thru' an ash tree (i.e. the tree has not fully greened up) you can plant your potatoes.
Rowdy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice, we planted the orla seeds this morning - just 1 grow bag but he was quite excited about the whole affair, albeit quite sceptical about whether it was going to 'work' - I can't wait to see his reaction when the plant peers above the soil and then when we dig them out Very Happy

Apologies for my sarcasm/touchiness tagwex Embarassed - yes I can now of course see the humour of your witty reply - I did indeed mean 30 sq feet and not inches, 30 sq yards i can only dream of for now Laughing I live in Dublin city centre so I consider myself lucky to have even 30 sq feet - haha - It is a nicely sheltered space that is south facing. I've managed to squeeze in carrots, scallions, runner beans, lettuce, garlic, rocket, strawberries, mint, thyme, parsley, rosemary & lavander - obviously all in small quantities. Also have 12 growbags of potatoes & a mini green house to house my tomato plants. I'm only starting out but being honest I am chuffed with myself Cool I took your advice and planted some rocket & lettuce with the nephew this morning & will bring him a tomato plant when they are ready to plant on in a week or 2 - great seeing him so enthused so hopefully i can keep him interested!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Rowdy, especially getting a young one started in gardening.
And Tagwex, I love your rule of thumb - it really goes back to observing what is happening in your neighbourhood and acting accordingly, just like jdquinn with his hedge.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
30" sq?????
Just about enough for one of those seed potatoes!!!

I'm reminded of This Is Spinal Tap. The Stonehenge scene:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28p3n_spinal-tap-stonehenge_music
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology neither needed nor expected Rowdy but accepted anyway. You just keep that young lad nurtured and well done with your efforts as you seem to have crowded a lot in. Any chance you can come down and help me out, think I have taken on too much this year? Any allotments near you, sounds like you could do with one? I thought of you over the weekend when an ad came on about a young lad being given a small plot in the back garden on sky sports. It showed the young lad through all the seasons tending his small patch and after months of work the poor young lad only had one small carrot to show for his efforts, it was hilarious. Now just to clarify, it was the young lad that made me think of you, not the size of the patch or the return from it, OK?

I cannot take the plaudits for the rule of thumb good guy as it was my potatoes adage not mine for I am not near as wise as he.

Spinal Tap, ha, I was reminded of a rude joke told by one of the Ballymagash lads on the Late Late one night waaaay back in the day, late 70's, about a honeymoon night. There was ould wans on their knees praying for hours on end after hearing that one.

Rowdy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tagwex, that's 1 carrot more than I've got Neutral Grrr! Damn stray cat managed to get in under the netting that I had covering my little carrot patch and did his dirty business - I had to clear it out and sow some more. I don't agree with anyone harming any animals but this one is testing my resolve!!!

No allotments near me unfortunately, there's afew around county Dublin alright but too far to make it worthwhile. I have taken to harassing all the local election callers to start a campaign to convert some of the many empty/derelict sites in the city centre to community allotments - I'm thinking the former gass bottle plant in ringsend would be ideal - at 16.5m per acre it could be possibly the most expensive allotment in the world Laughing

The young lad is busy checking for signs of growth on the potatoes he planted - he was utterly disgusted when I suggested they might be ready for his dinner after his first day in school in September Very Happy

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the advert? I think it is hilarious.
Watch Love Hate for ways of dealing with cats!!!! Same treatment these wood pigeons are going to get here very soon. Put pepper over the soil = no more cats.
Community allotments could be a vote winner, find a fallen or wannabe TD.
Keep the young lads interest up with some fast growing veg and plant them in succession a week apart so as there will be something new every week until the business end of the season kicks in.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that advert on you tube, hope this works.

http://youtu.be/8UDUDKLZCAI

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rowdy. Was that young nephew ever fed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: