Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

My contribution to the housing crisis

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: My contribution to the housing crisis Reply with quote

Noticed a few birds around the sheds yesterday gathering up nest material so I thought it was time to take my two triple nest boxes out of cold storage from last year and put them up. One is on the gable of the house and the other is in amongst the pine trees. Always meant to make more but never got around to it, all those wet days when I should have been doing such jobs. Last year we had chaffinch, coal tits, blue tits and sparrows nesting successfully. This year we have bullfinch and gold finch in the garden so i hope they both take to nesting in the boxes this year. They are simply made, I use 20 * 200mm cedar planks and 4 roof slates, all done in half an hour or so.

TRIPLE BIRD BOX.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  343.09 KB
 Viewed:  2372 Time(s)

TRIPLE BIRD BOX.jpg

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
robineire
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Looks good Reply with quote

It looks like a good nesting box, I put one up in a tree here but the entrance is too big I thin and it puts them off using it. The thing was full of twigs and nesting material but I think the bird had second ideas about using it in the end.

One of the trees that I had to cut down as it was leaning badly had the red kite nest in it but it was prior to them nesting or they choose another this year (hopefully)
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the hole size is all important to the species apparently. If I remember rightly mine are all 38mm which suits the tits, finches and sparrows. Also i read back at the time I was researching the sizes and different forms of boxes that young birds will often make several attempts at nest building before they finally get it right which could be what you had.

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small thing. It's good to put a thin strip of pond liner/ polythene or similar where the top of the roof meets the back board. This stops rain trickling down the gap and getting the inside wet. Staple it to the back, and with your design, put the other edge in between the two slates.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you cannot see it in the photo but there is silicone where the slate and timber meet and there are four slates there overlapping each other so I do have dry boxes. Thanks for the interest though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: