Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Saving money and CO2.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
maggieb
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Saving money and CO2. Reply with quote

Did you know that cars are responsible for more CO2 emissions than any other form of transport in the Ireland? Personal car travel is the single biggest contributor to personal CO2 emissions. So question is can we do anything about it? Yes, everyone can! Only by following this simple tips you can cut emissions by 8 per cent!
1.Make sure your tyres are pumped up.
2.Reduc any unnecessary weight being carried by the car.
3. Service your car regularly.
4.Drive at an appropriate speed - staying within the 70mph limit can bring savings of 10 per cent for your fuel bill compared to driving at 80mph.
5. Speed up and slow down smoothly.
6.Change gears at lower revs.
7.Avoid leaving your engine running.
8.Don't use air conditioning unless you need it - however, at speeds above 50-60mph it the drag created by an open window means it more efficient to keep them closed and use aircon.
How great is that? This few simple steps will not only help you to save few bob, but also will help the environment . Not enough? You can do more! You can also use websites like http://www.logideals.ie/ when you need transportation service. They do help customers to save fortune on deliveries, but whatís more important they help Irish Transport Companies to avoid empty runs, which are the most common reason for high CO2 emissions. You save on haulage, they save on petrol and emissions. Letís do it together!
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Saving money and CO2. Reply with quote

maggieb wrote:
4.Drive at an appropriate speed - staying within the 70mph limit can bring savings of 10 per cent for your fuel bill compared to driving at 80mph.

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten that the speed limit here was decreased about 10 years ago.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that we are in km since '07, i think. UK rules methinks.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did hear a car engineer on a BBC science programme recommending to only fill the fuel tank to half full. Apparently, especially for bigger cars, a fuller tank gives diminishing returns: you're essentially carrying up to another person's weight in the car, so you burn the excess fuel faster. Seemed to make sense.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, fill your tanks when the air is colder, i.e. morning or late at night, as cool fuel is more dense than warm or hot fuel, so you get more for your money. Now I know this is a minimal saving for the size of your average car fuel tank but airlines make use of this little known fact, but then again the savings on their quantities are substantial.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
I did hear a car engineer on a BBC science programme recommending to only fill the fuel tank to half full. Apparently, especially for bigger cars, a fuller tank gives diminishing returns: you're essentially carrying up to another person's weight in the car, so you burn the excess fuel faster. Seemed to make sense.

Yeah, I am aware of this. When I lived in Dublin (hence short trips) I used to put only Ä10 worth in the tank. Now that I live rural I always fill to the brim, anything less is impractical.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Also, fill your tanks when the air is colder, i.e. morning or late at night, as cool fuel is more dense than warm or hot fuel, so you get more for your money. Now I know this is a minimal saving for the size of your average car fuel tank but airlines make use of this little known fact, but then again the savings on their quantities are substantial.

The volumes delivered at the pumps refer to 15`C.

You've also probably noticed that fuel efficiency increases during the summer as less fuel is expended in warming the engine.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, warm air is easier for the car to pass through; wind resistance is the biggest cause of fuel consumption at higher speeds.

i don't have the article to hand, but i have read that car fuel consumption figures are calculated in the summer in spain - it's warm, and since spain is basically a plateau, the air is thinner as the tests are performed at higher altitudes.

one thing the original post doesn't mention is anticipation. if your car has fuel injection, you're consuming zero fuel if you take your foot off the accelerator. so if the lights up ahead are red, and you've enough speed to carry you there with your foot off the pedal, why burn petrol getting to a stop light more quickly?
it's surprising the number of people who don't realise this.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
so if the lights up ahead are red, and you've enough speed to carry you there with your foot off the pedal, why burn petrol getting to a stop light more quickly?

I know what you're saying but in urban environments such behaviour intensifies traffic congestion. Cars gently coasting to a stop at a red light are holding up cars behind them. Causing the cars behind them to get stopped at the previous traffic lights, and so back the line... Negative domino effect leading to grid lock.

I witnessed this spectacularly a few years ago during "the big freeze". Drivers dawdling and not going a Grace Jones on it. Room for 20% more cars; instead 20% extra holdups. Entertaining as I walked home.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a substantial difference between driving at 5mph (vs. 30) and 20mph vs 30.
comparing the situation i described with a once in a generation weather event is pushing the concept past breaking (braking?) point!
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering whether Maggieb knows that this is a gardening forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: