Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from Mayo

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Slave77
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Hello from Mayo Reply with quote

I have been lurking for the last few weeks now whilst scratching my head as to what to do with my polytunnel area of the garden. I just love plants and growing. Have had a tunnel for about 4 years now, but have not had much time for the garden in the last 2 years due to a very premature baby keeping me indoors, busy and sleep deprived Shocked

Happily, she is growing well and we can get out and about more now and I can get back to the green fingered growing Very Happy

After clearing the area around my tunnel and laying out for veg beds and waiting for stone to be delivered to prepare my walkways between the beds. I have pulled MILES of nettle roots in the last few weeks, along with thistle, scutch grass, docks, and dandelions....... Rolling Eyes

I have always had great success growing from seed, mainly ornamentals/annuals/perennials. Grew some veg last year in a small area beside the house which my dear partner kitted out for me to keep me sane.... Just had to get my hands in the soil!

This year I am going to grow more veg, but I have also experimented with tree and shrub seed that I purchased and am relishing the challenge of breaking deep dormancy of those seeds.

Also have a native hedge of sorts going in on one side of the site this week. I have sown seed of my usual favourite annuals also which are coming on well in the tunnel. Also going to start composting- much to my DP's dismay- he thinks it will attract rats and sure can't you buy compost..... He is not as enthusiastic about the garden as I am
Am looking forward to learning more from all you much more experienced gardeners, have picked up lots of tips from reading through posts in the last couple of weeks. My tunnel plastic needs replacing but reckon the expense of kitting out the veg area is more important and can replace the plastic later in season whilst everything is growing outside.

I have attached a couple pics. Suggestions very welcome.The time change and the extra hour in the evening was welcomed greatly! Here's to a great gardening season for us Very Happy

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.36 KB
 Viewed:  6370 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.45 KB
 Viewed:  6370 Time(s)

image.jpg

tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along lurker and keep posting! Concentrate on the veg - you can't eat flowers!!!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome is that Croagh Patrick in the back, My back garden looks out on it. You can eat some flowers especially in salads or garnish Tagwex
Slave77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tagwex, can't forget the flowers for the bees and the predators and the beauty!
Hi Margo thanks, no it's not the reek, we in Claremorris not sure what those are must get a geography lesson.

My stone for the paths arrived this morning Very Happy busy weekend for all in our house Twisted Evil
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slave77 wrote:
Thanks tagwex, can't forget the flowers for the bees and the predators and the beauty!
Hi Margo thanks, no it's not the reek, we in Claremorris not sure what those are must get a geography lesson.

We are in Ballyglass
Slave77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah we not too far from you so Margo ?
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Margo, another female on board to join you in getting digs in at the menfolk!!! You can eat the flowers if you like I'll stick to the traditional veg thanks. Just out of interest what would they be?

@slave77, we have enough wild areas on this plot to support insects and wildlife, a man just up the road has bee hives, we have a small adjoining wood to the south of us and we are surrounded by farmland and ditches on all sides but my 700m2 that is cultivated is sacrosanct and my aim is to keep it weed and flower free. Having said that, the boss wanted a flower area recently so I prepared a bit of ground about a month ago and put 6 raised beds on it and planted bulbs in 5 of them and will do bedding plants later on in the year, the remaining bed is for a herb garden. On top of that there is another 600m2 approx. here that is still wild and unkept and largely in shade (only moved here last April and the place was totally wild and hadn't been used for anything in 11 years). We tamed 450m2 straight away, done another 250m2 in the autumn and am currently working on expanding that by approx. another 600m2 for this years additional veg. (new potatoes mostly). Anyway the insects and bees are attracted to the flowers on the veg too.

Slave77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow tagwex you sure eat a lot of veg Wink sounds like you have a lot to keep you busy. So lucky, as you can see from my picks we are completely exposed on all sides.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh we don't eat it all. The new potatoes are mostly for sale and I end up giving a good bit away to family and neighbours too. Yes, I noticed you were fairly exposed so the introduction of flowers for pollination reasons is a must for you. Just wish I had more time to spend in the garden and carry out all the projects that I have in mind. Dam work keeps getting in the way!

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's an impressive set up keep us posted and good luck with the project,If youve any questions please post we might not know everything but we have an opinion on everything here, welcome to the forum.
Slave77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagwex I am lucky as I have to stay home with baby for time being and that we can kind of afford it. I just wish she would sleep a bit longer in the day Twisted Evil

Thanks greengage it's years in planning in my head and very exciting to be making it real! Am sure I will have questions alright!! Hopefully updated pic of near completion by Monday Laughing
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
@Margo, another female on board to join you in getting digs in at the menfolk!!! You can eat the flowers if you like I'll stick to the traditional veg thanks. Just out of interest what would they be?.

Here you go enjoy

Edible Flowers
Common Name Botanical Name Comments
Angelica Angelica archangelica May be skin allergen to some individuals. Good with fish and the stems are especially popular candied. Tastes like: celery-flavoured. More info here.
Anise Hyssop Agastache foeniculum Tastes like: sweet, anise-like, licorice
Apple Malus species Eat in moderation; may contain cyanide precursors. Tastes like: delicate floral flavour
Arugula Eruca vesicaria Tastes like: nutty, spicy, peppery flavour
Basil Ocimum basilicum Tastes like: different varieties have different milder flavouurs of the corresponding leaves. Tastes like: lemon, mint. .
Bee Balm Monarda species Also known as bergamot, it is used to make a tea with a flavour similar to Earl Grey Tea.
Borage Borago officinalis Taste like: light cucumber flavour.
Burnet Sanguisorba minor Tastes like: faint cucumber flavour, very mild. Calendula* Calendula officinalis Tastes like: poor man's saffron, spicy, tangy, peppery, adds a golden hue to foods
Carnation Dianthus caryophyllus (aka Dianthus) Tastes like: spicy, peppery, clove-like
Chamomile* Chamaemelum nobile Tastes like: faint apple flavour, good as a tea
Chicory* Cichorium intybus Buds can be pickled.
Chives: Garden Allium schoenoprasum Tastes like: mild onion flavour. Allium tuberosum Tastes like: garlicky flavour
Chrysanthemum: Garland* Chrysanthemum coronarium Tastes like: slight to bitter flavour, pungent
Citrus: Lemon Citrus lemon Tastes like: waxy, pronounced flavour, use sparingly as an edible garnish, good for making citrus waters
Clover Trifolium species Raw flower heads can be difficult to digest.
Coriander Coriander sativum Pungent. A prime ingredient in salsa and many Latino and Oriental dishes. Tastes like: Some palates detect a disagreeable soapy flavour while others adore it.
Cornflower* Centaurea cynaus (aka Bachelor's Buttons) Tastes like: sweet to spicy, clove-like
Dandelion* Taraxacum officinalis Tastes like: very young buds fried in butter taste similar to mushrooms. Makes a potent wine.
Day Lily Hemerocallis species Many Lilies (Lillium species) contain alkaloids and are NOT EDIBLE. Daylillies may act as a laxative. Tastes like: sweet, crunchy, like a crisp lettuce leaf, faintly like chestnuts or beans
Dill Anthum graveolens
English Daisy* Bellis perennis Tastes like: tangy, leafy
Fennel Foeniculum vulgare Tastes like: sweet, licorice flavour.
Fuchsia Fuchsia X hybrida Tastes like: slightly acidic
Gardenia Gardenia jasminoides Tastes like: light, sweet flavour
Gladiolus* Gladiolus spp Tastes like: similar to lettuce
Hibiscus Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Tastes like: slightly acidic, boiled makes a nice beverage
Hollyhock Alcea rosea Tastes like: very bland, nondescript flavour
Hyssop Hyssopus officinalis Should be avoided by pregnant women and by those with hypertension and epilepsy.
Impatiens Impatiens wallerana Tastes like: very bland, nondescript flavour
Jasmine: Arabian Jasminum sambac Tastes like: delicate sweet flavour, used for teas.
Johnny-Jump-Up Viola tricolor Contains saponins and may be toxic in large amounts. Tastes like: sweet to bland flavour
Lavender Tastes like: floral, slightly perfumey flavour
Lemon Verbena Aloysia triphylla Tastes like: lemony flavour, usually steeped for tea
Lilac Syringa vulgaris Tastes like: lemony, floral, pungent
Mallow: Common Malva sylrestris Tastes like: sweet, delicate flavour
Marigold: Signet Tagetes tenuifolia (aka T. signata) Tastes like: spicy to bitter
Marjoram Origanum majorana
Mint Mentha species
Mustard Brassica species Eating in large amounts may cause red skin blotches.
Nasturtium Tropaeolum majus Buds are often pickled and used like capers. Tastes like: sweet, mildly pungent, peppery flavour
Okra Abelmoschus aesculentus
(Hibiscus esculentus) Tastes like: similar to squash blossoms
Pansy Viola X wittrockiana Tastes like: very mild sweet to tart flavour
Pineapple Guava Feijoa sellowiana Tastes like: similar to the ripe fruit of the plant, flavourful
Radish Raphanus sativus Tastes like: milder, sweeter version of the more familiar radish heat
Redbud Cercis canadensis Tastes like: mildly sweet
Rose Rosa rugosa or R. gallica officinalis Tastes like: sweet, aromatic flavour, stronger fragrance produces a stronger flavour. Be sure to remove the bitter white portion of the petals. Rose hips are also edible
Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis Tastes like: pine-like, sweet, savoury.
Runner Bean Phaseolus coccineus Tastes like: nectar, bean-like
Safflower* Carthamus tinctorius Another "poor man's saffron" without the pungent aroma or strong flavour of the real thing
Sage Salvia officinalis Sage should NOT be eaten in large amounts over a long period of time. Tastes like: varies by type.
Savory: Summer Satureja hortensis
Snapdragon Antirrhinum majus Tastes like: bland to bitter flavour
Society Garlic Tulbaghia violacea Tastes like: a very mild garlic flavour Squash Blossom Cucurbita pepo species (aka Zucchini Blossom) Tastes like: sweet, nectar flavor..
Sunflower* Helianthus annus Tastes like: leafy, slightly bitter. Lightly steam petals to lessen bitterness. Unopened flower buds can be steamed like artichokes.
Thyme Thymus vulgaris Tastes like: lemon, adds a nice light scent.
Violet Viola species Tastes like: sweet, nectar
(Banana) Yucca Yucca baccata Flowers (petals only) and fruit are edible. Other parts contain saponin, which is poisonous. Large amounts may be harmful. Tastes like: crunchy, fresh flavour

Flowers to Avoid Some flowers in particular to be avoided (but not a complete list) are: azalea, crocus, daffodil, foxglove, oleander, rhododendron, jack-in-the-pulpit, lily of the valley, and wisteria..
*Only the petals of these composite flowers are edible. The pollen of composite flowers is highly allergenic and may cause reactions in sensitive individuals. Sufferers of asthma, ragweed, and hayfever should not consume composite flowers, and may have extreme allergies to ingesting any flowers at all.
Slave77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I kind of think that was a warrantable comeback!!!!!!
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play margo wouldnt have the time or energy for putting that post together, but hats off well done.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slave77 wrote:
I kind of think that was a warrantable comeback!!!!!!

I didn't think my comment about sticking to 'normal' veg was looking for a comeback, just merely stating an opinion and at the same time not realising that there was such a diversity and quantity of edible flowers to be had. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and loath to change, too set in my ways i suppose. Learn something new everyday.

Quote:
wouldnt have the time or energy for putting that post together

I suspect that copy and paste came into play here, if it didn't then fair play to you Margo and thanks for the info. I will look into that further.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: