Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Scary news.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Scary news. Reply with quote

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/roundup-weedkiller-linked-global-epidemic-fatal-kidney-disease
Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear what other members have to say about this, especially people with a science background sufficient to enable them to verify (or rebut) the claims made.
Personally, my gut instinct has always been to look askance at 'free lunches', especially when they involve claims made by multinationals.
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsanto have a seriously questionable reputation, nothing would surprise me about their products.
Keith g
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsanto Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

K.

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colour me sceptical; how come this disease is not being reported in other areas which have a high usage of the weedkiller?

the report above claims that glyphosate only becomes toxic when mixed with arsenic or cadmium(!) - so the common link here appears to be minerals which are widely known to be toxic anyway.
Rob12
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I certainly do not have any love for Monsanto, I think it is important to remember that this seems to be a rather isolated story so far. I wonder why we would not have any other information from other places if this were a genuine problem with all of the products.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm currently reading 'silent spring'; it's absolutely bananas what they used to do in the states (the book is mainly about insecticide and pesticide use there); spraying suburban areas from the air with DDT and worse to get rid of mildly irritating insects.
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDT had devastating effects here and in the UK, too. One result was the near disappearance of raptors.

The adding of hundreds of chemicals to our environment means we are all, whether we like it or not, living in a vast, unplanned experiment, with no-one too sure of the likely outcomes.

The deliberate spraying of powerful chemicals onto foodstuffs in order to maximise profit, eg glyphosate on GM wheat, soya, beet, rape etc has to be full of potential hazards. Multinationals, and other big business, will always put the interests of shareholders before those of ordinary citizens. That is why I am very suspicious of them and of their claims as to safety. I'm not some Luddite ranting about GM. I have doubts, though, as to some of the uses to which the science is put.

It would be great if someone with a science background (and some free time!) could follow this report up and attest as to its relevance and value. I don't have the qualifications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: