Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Timber cold frame

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: tagwex
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon
Is Newspaper in compost Toxic?
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MisseyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Timber cold frame Reply with quote

Hi
Looking for a decent timber cold frame in Ireland. Not keen on making my own so want a decent looking one off the shelf.

Thank you.

E
member11809

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Timber cold frame Reply with quote

MisseyB wrote:
Hi
Looking for a decent timber cold frame in Ireland. Not keen on making my own so want a decent looking one off the shelf.

Thank you.

E
did you find one?
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices are both horrendous and outrageous, make your own you will be far better off, I made mine, took a bit of doing in fairness but well worth it and if I have to say so better built too. If you cannot do it yourself gather up the materials and get someone to make it for you, should be made in a few hours.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
member11809

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
The prices are both horrendous and outrageous, make your own you will be far better off, I made mine, took a bit of doing in fairness but well worth it and if I have to say so better built too. If you cannot do it yourself gather up the materials and get someone to make it for you, should be made in a few hours.
What wood did you use?
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar planks, 200 * 20mm and 50 * 50mm treated roofing battens. Made it double skinned and filled the 50mm gap with rigid insulation. Shelf at the back for additional pots. Glass from a patio door. 100mm DPC on the bottom. Simples!

MisseyB

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thank you for all your messages. Got overwhelmed by gardening since my first post so only getting back to it now.

Haven't found a cold frame as of yet. Will keep hunting.

E
Good guy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a photo, Tagwex, sounds like a great job.
I have three redundant double glazed window lights I'm considering using for a cold frame. Each light is about 4ft x 1ft 6 (too lazy/comfortable to go outside and measure!).
What do you mean by "100mm DPC"? Is that a strip of DPC all round? Have you insulated the floor?
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take photos tomorrow. Trouble is it is one of those unfinished projects that I just cannot get around to. Only have the door to make. Floor not insulated, just the walls. Laid on topsoil so the dpc is on the bottom to stop the timber rotting. This one is the prototype and have enough glass to make three more.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Tagwex! Why so tardy? Don't waste so much time with idle chatter! Where is the photo of your semi-constructed cold frame?
I'm waiting!,,
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience is a virtue of which you have none! And yes I am a day late but the good news is that I took the photos today and will post tonight shortly. It takes a while to transfer from phone to laptop. I am secretary of a golf club and I am in the middle of my weekly reports right now, so when that is finished I will post, they are worth waiting for!!!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply cannot understand why any sane person would want to go around knocking tiny hard balls into minuscule holes while "going for a walk" in an artificial landscape. Beats me! And they do it to fill their shelves with accumulations of overpriced glassware!
No wonder the country is in such a state.

I'm still waiting. You could always get a smart phone and synch it. Takes all the labour out of transfers.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You are assuming that I am indeed sane.
2. I was the same as you about golf until some friends literally dragged me kicking and screaming to go with them one day in 2007, and then I was hooked. Now I cannot get enough of it. Moral of the story, don't knock it until you have tried it.
3. Artificial, no, far from it, some of the courses are an absolute delight to walk around in, no different to a well kept park. The flora, fauna and the views can be spectacular.
4. The prizes on my shelves are few and far between I can assure you, but that is not why I play. It is a great day out, usually followed by a meal and a few pints and the craic does be good. I like the whole social side to it, there is the relaxation/exercise and the competitive side to it which I have missed since hanging up my studded boots and there are always new people to meet. Prizes can be anything, with us it is usually vouchers for restaurants or a hotel, golf gear or totally random stuff sometimes.
5. I fail to see how a pastime can be putting the country in a state, many a deal is struck on the golf course and new contacts made, happened me only two months ago, ran into an old work colleague that I hadn't seen in 12 years and I got a nice little contract out of it.
6. I do have have a smart phone, currently on my fourth one, which I only got last week, but never bothered with all that synching apart from e-mails. However this new one must have some new feature on it that makes it simpler because I have done a few posts to this site from it just this week so I am getting there slowly.
7. Doing said photos now.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Especially for you good guy Reply with quote

Here you are. Approx. 6'*3' and 2' high at the back and 1'4" at the front. Not so sure about the insulation in it being a good idea, maybe it will be too warm. Did not pick that idea up anywhere just thought it might be better. If I ever get around to making the door for this one then I could try it out and maybe just maybe make the other three. This one has been made over a year, shame on me. The young lad put in some of the felt nails which is why they are all over the place in the DPC.

Cold frame 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.99 KB
 Viewed:  12133 Time(s)

Cold frame 2.jpg

Cold frame 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  318.33 KB
 Viewed:  12133 Time(s)

Cold frame 1.jpg

Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only kidding about the golf. One of my best friends suffers from the same enthusiasm! And really, I've enough going on without another demand on my time. Writing does it for me - we've a good little writers' group going and a thriving community of similarly mined people. See North West Words.

Thanks for the pics. The job looks good and I like the shelf idea and the use of the DPC. Not sure about the insulation either - I might just go for 2" boards.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own good guy. I have heard golf described as a good walk destroyed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: