Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Can anyone id this please?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Freckles
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Can anyone id this please? Reply with quote

HI There,

Spotted this wonderfully healthy looking green leaf growing in our hedge, tempted to say its spinach and cook it and eat it, but I did not plant it so bit cautious.. .. anyone know what it might be???

Thanks in advance Smile

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't eat it! "Arum maculatum" aka "Lords and Ladies". It's poisonous.
Freckles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Don't eat it! "Arum maculatum" aka "Lords and Ladies". It's poisonous.

Shocked Thanks so so much tippben!! Glad I asked now!!!
tippben

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody should every eat something that they can't positively identify. Even then, only try a small amount. I once gave some "chicken of the woods" mushrooms to some friends. 4 people were fine, and really enjoyed it. Two thought it was delicious, but they had an extreme allergy/intolerance reaction to it, and had to be checked out in hospital. I hadn't given them anything poisonous, they just had a rare reaction to it. Always try a little bit first before you eat a big dinner full of it.
Freckles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
Nobody should every eat something that they can't positively identify. Even then, only try a small amount. I once gave some "chicken of the woods" mushrooms to some friends. 4 people were fine, and really enjoyed it. Two thought it was delicious, but they had an extreme allergy/intolerance reaction to it, and had to be checked out in hospital. I hadn't given them anything poisonous, they just had a rare reaction to it. Always try a little bit first before you eat a big dinner full of it.

Of Course!!!! I was only joking about thinking it was spinach but its worth reiterating for others to never eat something you cant identify. Thanks again tippben, on closer inspection today I see I have ALOT of it growing, I have small kids so would you think I should dig it up?

Them mushrooms are amazing, I just had a quick google....
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many of the plants we grow are poisonous, it would be hard to have an interesting garden without them.
My own approach has been to show children, once they are old enough, some things that can be eaten - raspberries, blackberries, radish, peas, etc. and to tell them that on no account should they eat anything I have not approved for consumption.
I've then often shown them other things which might look similar - hawthorn berries, rose hips, laburnum pods etc and explained that even though they might look 'a bit the same' they would make them very ill indeed or they might even die. So far, this approach has worked well. The 'precautionary principle' is a good one to install.
Children too young to understand this should not be left unsupervised in a garden, anyway.
tippben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should start a "wild edible/wild deadly" thread. I use Francis Rose's "Wild Flower Key" for greenery and flowers, and Roger Phillips' guide to fungi. It'd be great for people to know which things will make them sick, which will kill them, and which plants and mushrooms are really good to eat and how to identify them. I have no scanner, so it'd have to be a communal effort.

As far as children go: don't eat anything. Unless I give it to you. I start with blackberries. They are the ONLY berries that aren't poison. If you break a plant that has milky sap, wash your hands quick, or you'll go blind if you get it in your eyes. If it's green, it's probably tastes like spinach or cabbage, and it's almost certainly poison, so don't eat it. NEVER eat mushrooms unless I've picked them and checked them.

Unless, I show you how to "grasp the nettle", how to make string from the stems and then make creamy soup out of it with crusty bready and bacony bits on the top. One step at a time, for kids or adults. In addition to learning foraging skills, they end up learning botany, cookery
and mycology at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: