Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

A thousand bulbs

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: A thousand bulbs Reply with quote

Help. I have just been given approx. 900 to 1000 bulbs all in their original packaging and stored indoors for almost a year in a heated room, a school actually. All the packets say plant from August to December. Am I too late to get any show of colour or will they be just be no use by now anyway? They look fine to me and I will most likely plant them anyway as surely some of them will grow. Would a plastic cover help speed up things?

I have been given Narcissi (tete tete and minnow), rockery narcissi mixed, Dutch Iris (symphony), dwarf tulip (red riding hood), snowdrops (single), tall tulips (pastel mix and black blend), daffodil (sweetness), giant snowdrops and allium neopolitanum.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE

Last edited by tagwex on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Margo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is just get them in the ground. You might get some blooms and a lot will come up blind (just foliage) but once in the ground they have got a year to recover and you should have a lovely show next year.
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put them in a large box cover with compost and try again next year.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people, those are the two answers that I was expecting. However, I will be doing the former and hope for the best. Photos of results will follow.

PS: @ Greengage, did you mean to store them or compost them? If the former, I think I will have to try that anyway as I just don't have the space for that many, well I do, but they would be too crowded in the space available in the raised beds

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to planting those bulbs yesterday, worked out the ideal spacings and have approx. four times too many for the space available. My guess of a thousand was short too, Turned out to be 1342 in the end. So I asked the neighbouring farmer if I could put them on her ditch opposite our house, happy days, there will be some splash of colour around here next spring for all the road users to enjoy. Photos will follow, eventually!

Margo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how lovely but what I can't understand is why did the school give them away. It would have been lovely for each pupil to plant one or two bulbs in the school grounds. But good on you for getting them planted
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Margo, very simple really, my better half is the principal and the bulbs were donated to the school. Due to the old school (all portacabins) being replaced by a new state of the art school some two miles away last year and the grounds not being ready at the correct planting time at the new school, the bulbs would have gone to waste. They will get a new batch again next year anyway. The old school did indeed have an area for the children to grow whatever as does the new one,.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Greengages thoughts were the best. Compost. The vast majority didn't grow at all and maybe 40 came up as foliage last year. None of the 40 reappeared this spring.
Undeterred I tried again last autumn and bought a few dozen to plant out on the roadside ditch. First daffs came up 3 weeks ago. However due to the long illness I had, I never got around to planting all the daffs and none of the crocus bulbs. Should I plant now or store and if the latter what is the best way? I hate waste.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a go. What have you got to lose? In my experience daffs and snowdrops are virtually bomb proof. It doesn't surprise me that tulips and iris don't come up. I never had much success with them. The very best of them only flower once or twice with me.
Margo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
snowdrops are virtually bomb proof.

Except if I try to grow them Sue. I have tried to grow them for years with no success except for this year.
In my experience bulbs that have come up blind or not at all, have either been planted to late or are resting. I would just leave them where they were and they will pick up and be glorious next year
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the best storage method?

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
So what is the best storage method?
Don't think there is one! They just need to be in the ground. Though I have found that, at a push, 'spare' bulbs left in a pot/bucket in a bit of soil or compost will do their best to grow and can be salvaged to grow on the next year. Just don't leave them in a packet.

My friend, the retired teacher, was given several bags of bulbs (end of year stock) by the folks at BMG 'for the school'. He asked me to sift through them and pick out any that might survive. There were very few that hadn't shrivelled away to nothing. Most of the good ones were mini daffs and crocus'.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my point was that none of last year's that went in late and grew blind didn't appear this year at all. Would I just be better putting them in the ground tomorrow?

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, what the heck.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a hand????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: