Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Budget gardeneing

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Budget gardeneing Reply with quote

If your on a budget and things are tight at the moment. Aldi and Lidl are doing some nice cheap plants at the moment.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be great for the buyer but for those growing plants they like the farmers are probably not getting a fair price for their product, so if you want to squeeze the grower out of the market fair enough, suspect their not irish grown plants.
Margo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I haven't got the money to go to garden centres and I grow most of my stuff from seed. The soft fruit bushes and roses are from Warwickshire and yes the other things are from Holland. As I said I haven't got the money to go to garden centres so I get my stuff at Aldi and Lidl, and I don't think I'm on my own.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not criticizing you, just making people aware, remember the 10cent carrots who are the winners here long term, In garden centres its not the growers who make the profit its the owners of the garden centres who ever made the rule they must get 100% mark up, it certainly was not the growers, they could reduce the prices and still make a profit. Jee another can of worms i've opened up, ah well good debate is never to be shied away from. Enjoy the growing season,
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plants sold in Aldi and Lidl are cheap in many ways and for a variety of reasons. For example, I've yet to see the staff in the former watering the plants or carrying out the standard plant care duties.
I bought pepper and aubergine plants in Lidl a few years ago. Each had five fruit growing on them. These were the only fruit I got from the plants despite the care I gave them.
I've found their plants to be a false ecomony; caveat emptor!
If you're looking to save money on soft fruit bushes I suggest skipping the middleman and going straight to the source. English's in Wexford cost about half the price of good garden centres when I bought some soft fruit bushes a few years ago. They'd a printed catalog back then but are on the web now: www.englishsfruitnursery.ie
Margo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Potatoes wrote:
Plants sold in Aldi and Lidl are cheap in many ways and for a variety of reasons. For example, I've yet to see the staff in the former watering the plants or carrying out the standard plant care duties.

Thats why I go on the day they start.
Actually my cousin used to work in Aldi as a handyman in Claremorris and he used to water the plants daily.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't recommend English's highly enough, even though they are neighbours of mine. Know them all since childhood, a lovely family. I have bought loads from them over the years and never a problem and the advice is freeflowing. I remember recommending them to someone on this site a few months back who was looking for a rare type of apple tree, don't know if they were successful or not though.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
[quote

Thats why I go on the day they start.
Actually my cousin used to work in Aldi as a handyman in Claremorris and he used to water the plants daily.

I'd say that was a rare sight...normally they are never watered and just left to wither then thrown out...
crosseyedsheep
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought bare root apple trees about 8 years ago (When my eldest kids were small) from "one of these places mentioned at the beginning of this topic", supposed to be a number of different varieties i.e. brambly seedling etc. They turned out to be all the same red dessert (not very good) apples. I'm in the process of replacing most of them at the moment.

What really ticks me off about all this is the time which has been wasted i.e. my kids have to wait another 2 to 3 years before the new apple trees start to produce fruit. My mother, who is a keen Gardner, advised me against buying these at the time, I really regret not taking her advice.

If possible go to a local garden centre and but quality, they will also be able to advise what grows best in your area.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some root cuttings and summer-flowering bulbs in Aldi the other week as they were just in, looked very fresh and were cheap. I potted them up straightaway and they seem to be doing ok. The main attraction for me was that it's hard to get a decent selection of perennials, where I live, except when they are in flower and costly.

I now have 33 pots containing kniphofia, eryngium, gypsophilia, convallaria, physalis, echinacea and liatris for a less than 12 euro, if my arithmetic is correct. Even if they don't all do well, it's not a lot of money, considering any two plants would cost about 15 in full growth in their flowering season.
Margo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree. I bought a load of dahlias last week. I thought there was 1 in a packet. In fact there's 3. Everywhere in UK are basking in the sunshine whilst I've sat in my girl shed potting the dahlias on. The temperature has been 7 and we've had rain all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: