Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

mulching

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage
Whats wrong with my apple tree
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Brexit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Daydream. That is emphatically NOT how to mulch trees! Whatever the material, don't put too much on: 2" at most, then let the worms drag it down. Then put a little bit more on, little and often. You can put more on further away, to help stop grass encroaching, but not with 1" of the main stem.
member11809

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
No Daydream. That is emphatically NOT how to mulch trees! Whatever the material, don't put too much on: 2" at most, then let the worms drag it down. Then put a little bit more on, little and often. You can put more on further away, to help stop grass encroaching, but not with 1" of the main stem.
you mean the youtube vid? I do not do that.

If rootgrow is used does it mean no other feed is ever needed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8DIWgrS5XA says single application supports plants for a lifetime
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

member11809 wrote:
Greengage wrote:
yes but keep it away from trunk.
i know about that but do not understand why . isn't there always going to be somethng aganst the trunk where the tree meets the ground? Anyway i did keep it back a bit

Contact between the trunk and the mulch cause the bark to soften. This is not healthy for the bark and can lead to diseases.
gardendelights
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch so glad I read this forum, tomorrow my first job is to remove all the compost that i have piled up against the tree higher than than the base of tree , I actually thought I was being so kind to the little things keeping them warm , another thing I am confused about is the rose when planting a new rose bush or indeed a new fruit tree they talk about not covering the join or something like that , anyone like to enlighten me please with this and pic of this would be good if you can get one , there is a lot to learn isnt there , but thank you all on here so glad I read this forum.
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked for a pic for you and this is the best i could find, Its from classic roses a peter Beale site scroll down to the diagram how to plant bare rooted roses, Anything you need to know about roses you can usually find here if your not happy get back to us.
http://www.classicroses.co.uk/blog/category/rose-care/planting-roses/
gardendelights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read over the link and still a bit dubious about cutting away at the roses ha ha , so going to take a look at each one and cut any diseased wood away and also the tall rose that has lots of new growth i will shorten a third in length and the branches cut a third away then I will pray it gives me some roses like last year , i will cut just above a bud slanted cut i will take photos and maybe if I am doing anything wrong the forum here will advise happy days Kathy , off out into the garden, late start today as the house needed a bit of tidying up tends to get neglected a bit when the weather is calling us outdoors, have a happy day everyone.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read over the link and still a bit dubious about cutting away at the roses ha ha , so going to take a look at each one and cut any diseased wood away and also the tall rose that has lots of new growth i will shorten a third in length and the branches cut a third away then I will pray it gives me some roses like last year , i will cut just above a bud slanted cut, i will take photos and maybe if I am doing anything wrong the forum here will advise happy days Kathy , off out into the garden, late start today as the house needed a bit of tidying up tends to get neglected a bit when the weather is calling us outdoors, have a happy day everyone.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s that article was great Greengage , thank you for posting.Kathy.
gardendelights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article was great Greengage , thank you for posting.Kathy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: