Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Big wind

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Big wind Reply with quote

Did everyone survive the big wind, mad here but escaped with little damage, shed and greenhouse still standing , chickens a bit shaken but laying this morning so they adjusted well.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's picking up again here (dublin) now; not to the point where it would be damaging though.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lot of the gardening sites there has been no reference to the wind and the damaged caused, while it was wild and a number of trees fell mainly shallow rooted conifers and some big seas on the coast I wonder was it another media event or is everyone traumatised to comment.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget people may have lost electricity and broadband so may be unable to comment. I have only just got my broadband back...we lost it on Wednesday....and as I don't use a smartphone, so I could not access the internet till this minute.
And yes, in North Wexford, the wind was the most frightening I have experienced, but mercifully the worst of it was over in two or three hours, unlike the prolonged pounding we got for most of the night on December 26th.
We were fortunate not to lose power, unlike many others in Wexford and there were plenty of trees down in the general area. And I don't imagine many people in Cork and Kerry think the storm was a "media event". I think it was a miracle no one was killed or seriously injured.
I see you live in Kildare....well the red alert was for the south coasts of Kerry, Cork....and also for Wexford..... just be greateful you didn't experience the worst of it.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work in leopardstown in dublin - can't remember how long ago we had wind like it, exacerbated by where i was being a cluster of tall buildings.
on wednesday as i left work, a chap was blown past me, his shoes sliding in the wet, and he had no control over where he was going. was quite funny, actually.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
On a lot of the gardening sites there has been no reference to the wind and the damaged caused...

I infer from your post that a lot of the gardening sites actually have regular posts Confused. Boards Gardening is the busiest in Ireland that I know of, and that's been quiet this year. I've noticed a few of the regulars have been banned.

Greengage wrote:
...I wonder was it another media event or is everyone traumatised to comment.

The media was definitely a factor. That footage of Mary Harney's sister being lashed by the rain but braving thru' it versus Plashtic Sheeting in two inches of water, panicking.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't experienced a storm like this since just before Christmas in 1997.
I went outside around 13:30 on Wednesday, just after the power cut. There wasn't a drop of rain but the wind was screeching. I walked outside in it briefly and it really shoved me along.

Usually when there's a storm it's dark and/or wet. But to experience it dry and in daylight is surreal.

I've been informed that I've lost a few trees. Apparently the roadside ones have been pushed aside. I'll check it out tomorrow, hopefully.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that "it's a media event" is a little bit arrogant.

Just had our electricity restored after losing it 2pm on Wednesday. No water because electricity is needed to pump water to the reservoir. No heating. No landline. No mobile phone (because no electricity to charge phone). One of our lorries was trapped for 2 days because a tree fell in front of it and when the driver looked behind, another fell just behind him. There were eventually 14 (Yes, 14!) fallen trees in front of him. Took me 3 and a quarter hours to travel 20 miles home on Wednesday because every road I took had a fallen tree in it blocking the road. Eventually got home down a boreen that a farmer had just cut up 3 fallen trees on .My electric gates to my house didn't work (and the key to manually open them wouldn't work either) so we had to climb in and out all the time over a neighbour's wall. The"Boss" wasn't impressed!

If it's not in Dublin, it's not news!!!!

(Rant over.)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Someone has estimated that there's a fallen tree every 100 yards in this part of Co. Limerick. I'd think he's underestimating, if anything. My neighbour has lost 20 trees. I'm going into his place tomorrow looking for a suitable stump for a stumpery. Smile
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same everywhere....anything outside of a capital city gets less attention......just look at the people in the south-west of England and all the problems they've had since Christmas, but it's only when the Home Counties and the outskirts of London are affected that weather-related issues are addressed with greater urgency.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I should have said that I send you good wishes, kindredspirit and hope all is well with you again.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sive.

Nothing fazes me really. Give me a problem and I'll try to (will) solve it. We must meet up sometime. I'm going to hold an open day in my little garden at the end of April, beginning of May. Will you be the first person through the gate? You have first preference. But remember, it's only a tiny garden. Sad

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was a calm day I ventured out to assess the damage. I must say I was stunned by the number of fallen trees. On the N20 north from Cork to Mallow there must have been 200 fallen trees. The vast majority of these had their trunks snapped. Very few were uprooted.
I'd love to know where the notion arose that the situation was exacerbated by the sodden ground which could no longer anchor the trees. Certainly in Cork, very few trees were uprooted; shattered boles everywhere instead.
On a personal level, lost 30-40 trees, including a huge ash with oriental looking leaflets. It must have been 200 years old. Now all torn and twisted. I nearly cried.
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindredspirit wrote:
No water because electricity is needed to pump water to the reservoir.

Any one of those old fashioned street-side pumps in the local town? You know the ones, with the lions face. Very handy at times like this.

kindredspirit wrote:
No heating.

No open fire? I know these have gone out the windon in these days of geothermal and underground heating, but they're a great backup.

kindredspirit wrote:
No mobile phone (because no electricity to charge phone).

You'd get a car charger for about a tenner. Very useful day-to-day, but priceless at times like this. My car has a USB port so I just plug my iPhone lead straight in. Not a penny extra was spent.

kindredspirit wrote:
My electric gates to my house didn't work (and the key to manually open them wouldn't work either) so we had to climb in and out all the time over a neighbour's wall.

What the deal with these gates should you need the emergency services? Like, what happens if the house is on fire and the fire brigade are called? Do they get stuck outside? Or do they just go without their equipment and do the rescue in the old fashioned way? Or would their unions even permit this?

Despite the inconvenience, I did get a buzz out of using the barbecue this week.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the deal with these gates should you need the emergency services? Like, what happens if the house is on fire and the fire brigade are called? Do they get stuck outside? Or do they just go without their equipment and do the rescue in the old fashioned way?

Where Life and/or Limb is involved the Fire Brigade shows no mercy to anything in its way...the Gates in question would be forced open in the quickest possible way without any thought been given to damage...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: