Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Big wind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
since I started this thread by provoking everybody my next question is who is going to answer for all these fallen trees, they all cannot be an act of god, Have landowners or councils carried out an assessment of trees on their property, starting with what they have, where they are and what preventative measures were implemented to prevent damage from fallen trees, have they being carrying out visual assessments of trees they are responsible for on a regular basis and what action was taken or should have been taken and who is responsible.

My comment was "This is Ireland after all", which was aimed at the part above that is underlined, because I couldn't believe that things are that organised in this country, personally I do not know of any landowner who is obliged to inspect their trees and send in a report to whoever.

From my potatoes......
"Which is where personal responsible flies out the window. I can understand someone feeling hard done by if a tree falls on them on a fine summers day. But if they're driving around during the worst storm in years, when the Gardai and AA have advised people to stay home, and a tree falls on them, well..."
Couldn't agree with you more Sir. Stay in you fools!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i dont always think as I assume people know what i'm on about VTA is Visual Tree Assessment. I dont think councils employ people with relative know how and equipment you need certification to use a chainsaw and insurance and proper PPE you cannot go to a hire shop and hire a chainsaw anymore.
some info on VTA if your interested, I have done this course twice and very interesting and informative, if you're interested in trees and their maintenance Prof. Dr. Claus Mattheck is a chap who has written a number of books worth reading and next time he is in Ireland he is well worth going to listen to.
http://www.imlusa.com/html/vta_visual_inspection.html
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousins were contacted by the County Council to bring their chainsaws, relative PPE and their tractor, trailor and teleporter loader to remove several large beech trees that had fallen on to the road in their local village. I doubt very much if they had the certification but certainly would have the know how. Either way they did the job and billed the county council accordingly. They have also been called in to grit the roads in icy times when the council cannot cope.
I have attended several lectures on tree identification and recognising diseases through the course of my work and found it very interesting. I am the proud owner of a pocket size Mitchell Beazley tree identification book which I find invaluable.

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a follow up to my potatoes Mallow Racecourse photo. The blackwater has receded as you can see. I didn't get up into the racecourse stand to take the photo as he did. Took it from the roadside instead earlier today.

The second one was taken at Lismore Castle today, wouldn't fancy the job of having to cut that one up!

20140220_124512.jpg
 Description:
Lismore Castle
 Filesize:  40.59 KB
 Viewed:  7192 Time(s)

20140220_124512.jpg

20140219_145414.jpg
 Description:
Mallow Racecourse
 Filesize:  29.26 KB
 Viewed:  7192 Time(s)

20140219_145414.jpg

Last edited by tagwex on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE:Tagwex, you would not get in the gate with me without a qualification, health and safety statement, Insurance and method of work statement. Thats just the way it is.....
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you as I am indoctrinated and brainwashed with the importance of health and safety through my work on construction projects.

And, as i said previously, 'only in Ireland'. Rules and procedures are changed at a whim when it suits. The County Council employed my cousins as described and never asked for a thing other than how quick can you do it.

My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
...you cannot go to a hire shop and hire a chainsaw anymore.

Just as well. From what I've heard hire shop chainsaws tend to have blunt saws. A blunt saw is far more dangerous than a sharp one.

I've just had a quick google; one of Cork's main tool hire shops is advertising chainsaws for hire. Maybe they haven't updated their website.
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/farmer-in-hot-water-for-obeying-felling-order-259860.html
Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that article ,If you get the form from the local garda station and send it off more than likely you will hear nothing and you can fell away after 28 days by default. Litle bit of power can go to the head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: